Chapter 1 [Red]

Waking up disoriented and sweating from another nightmare I hear my phone ringing. Trying to catch my breath and regain my composure I lay my head back and close my eyes. Who ever is calling will just have to leave a voicemail. Just as I calm down and start to doze off again my ringer interrupts. I reach over grabbing my phone off the night stand. Seeing a number I don't recognize I raise an eyebrow while sitting up to reluctantly answer it.

" Hello?! "

There is a slight pause on the other end before a raspy yet soft voice comes through.

" Yea.. umm...is this Niari? " they ask.

"It is and who might I be speaking with ? " I ask still confused.

" Hi, um, my name is Destiny. I'm calling about your sister. I know I shouldn't be calling you but ..."

Without giving her a chance to finish I cut her off.

" Listen.. Destiny is it ?? I'm not sure what Niah told you or how on earth you even got my number BUT I don't have any money to help bail her out or cover her debt. I haven't even spoken to her in about 4 years. So whatever sob story you and her created or whatever drama she's in its on her!"

I hear her sigh before responding,

"Listen, I wouldn't have called you if I didn't have to. I usually call your mother but her number wasn't working and she gave me your number in case of emergency. So if you can just give me a number to reach her I will gladly get off your fucking line but until then I have no issue with calling you every day until you put me in contact with your mother!"

The mention of my mothers brings tears to my eyes.

"Well there happens to be a problem ... I can't give you her number .. She ... "

I pause before redirecting the conversation. " What is it you need from my mother ? "

" I was calling to tell her that Niah left the rehab she was in. I went to see her 2 weeks ago and they told me she checked herself out against medical advice. I've been trying to contact your mother since I found out but I haven't had any luck. "

Rehab ? My mother knew about this ?! Why didnt she ever mention any of this to me ?! Agitated even more I take in a deep breath to calm my nerves. I swear if its not one thing its another. Before I can get my nerves back down to level 1 I am rudely interrupted.
"Hello?? Are you going to put me in touch with your mother or are we going to keep sitting on the phone listening to each other breathe?"

Her sarcasm catches me off guard and I almost feel as if I'm talking to myself, I chuckle before snapping back.
"I'm sorry, who did you say you were again ?! "

She sighs lightly allowing me to sense her aggravation with me and my circle of questions.

" I'm a friends of Niah's. Did your mother not mention me or anything about Niah to you ?! "

" Nope. Not at all. " I clear my throat, " well listen, I'm coming out that way in a few days. How about I reach out to you then and we can discuss all the things my mother didn't tell me."

"Um , yea. OK we can do that. just be sure to tell your mother I've been trying to reach her please. "

" Will do. Goodbye. "