~16~

Lexi needed to chill-out and stop rambling. Luke had probably noticed her anxiety, but he hadn't rolled his eyes or become distracted by the seagrass. In fact, he had not taken his eyes off her since she arrived on the beach. It made her feel like a bug under a magnifying glass, but Lexi was used to being stared at, although it was usually an opponent and often less-than-friendly.

Luke's gaze was definitely friendly, and distracting, and seductive. The longer Lexi sat in his presence, the more she wanted to reach out to him. To see if he would do the same. Did she expect Luke to woo her like an eighteenth-century gentleman? Nobody behaved the way they did in historical romances. Why couldn't she take her eyes off his chest? She needed to say something.

"Who invited you here this weekend, Luke?"

Lexi blurted the question without giving it much thought, and Luke's penetrating gaze left her face for a moment. Damn. She shouldn't have led with that question. She was an idiot.

"I learned of the affair through friends of your Uncle Z. I'm sure you noticed he and I don't always see eye to eye."

She nodded but added a shrug to let him know she had been there. "It wasn't too hard to figure out. Did you know he was going to be here?"

"Yes, but when I heard why the celebration was taking place, I made it a point to attend." Luke offered that brilliant smile of his, making Lexi's arms weak, and she adjusted herself on the blanket so she wouldn't fall over.

"Nora told me you run your own business. What is it that you do, exactly?"

Lexi watched Luke's face for signs of uncertainty, but his smile remained firmly in place. The question wasn't unreasonable.

"I help people with end of life decisions."

"Oh, like legally? Do you help them write up their wills?"

"No. More in a counseling capacity. People who are staring death in the face often need reassurance that there's more after this life. Hopefully, something good."

"So, you're a priest?" Lexi nearly choked on the word. Luke didn't strike her as the celibate type. And a priest wouldn't skinny dip in the ocean, would he?

His laugh reassured her. "I'm definitely not a priest. Do you believe in reincarnation, Lexi?"

Reincarnation, huh? Maybe he was a mystic? No. That still didn't fit.

"I think so. I'd like another shot at this thing called life. I mean, we spend a good chunk of time just figuring out the basics. After a few tries, maybe it'll be easier."

"That's an insightful interpretation. Many of the dying cling to a belief system that keeps them crippled, and when mortality is staring at them, they second guess every decision they made, fearing they didn't do enough or dreading some terrible retribution when they die. It is my job to help them make peace with their choices, so their transition is a pleasant one."

"That is about the most selfless job I have ever heard of. You could give Mother Teresa a run for her money." Lexi chuckled lightly, hoping her joke didn't offend him. She was comparing him to a saint, which could be viewed as blasphemy to some. He didn't even blush.

"You're giving me way too much credit."

"But it's still a job not everyone would consider. It takes a special person to want to spend their life helping the dying."

Luke seemed embarrassed by her compliment, and his gaze drifted toward the ocean. Maybe, a change of topic was in order.

"Where do you live, Luke? You said you don't get to swim in the ocean very often."

"My home is far from the sea, but I have a few rest stops I frequent when my mind and body require a break."

"Where are these rest stops? I'd love to know where you go to find peace."

Luke hesitated, pursing his lips. Had she delved too far into his personal life? Was he worried she would follow him to his private retreats and spoil his downtime? She wasn't a stalker, for pity's sake. As she cursed herself, his expression softened.

"The Mediterranean is a favorite of mine. That's where I go when I'm missing the sea. But, I also love Peru, Argentina, Singapore. The cuisine in Singapore is outstanding. Have you been to Asia, Lexi?"

"Yes. Both Japan and Vietnam. Vietnam was amazing. That's where I fell in love with rice fields. I've never looked at a grain of rice the same way since."

Luke's eyes remained locked on her face as she spoke, and Lexi found herself doing the same, noticing how the moonlight added highlights to his hair, making it shimmer, like his eyes. She could look at this handsome man for hours, and her body gradually relaxed the longer they talked.

"Do you want to swim?" he asked. "I must warn you, the water is cold, but there's nothing like a dip in the bracing sea to revitalize the soul."

"I'm used to the cold water. This is about the warmest it gets here."

As Lexi stood, she pondered the consequences of Luke's suggestion. Swimming alone was a big no-no in the Maxwell household, but she wasn't alone. So, why did she feel like an outlaw? She assumed Luke wanted to swim. That's why she wore her bikini, and modesty wasn't an issue. She had never been insecure about her body. She was more afraid her parents might catch her, or heaven forbid, Uncle Z.

With her eyes on Luke, she watched him walk to the water's edge, and when he didn't make a move to take off his shorts, she figured it was safe. She grabbed the hem of her dress to pull it over her head, and halfway there, she heard a familiar voice yell from the direction of the path.

"Lexi! What the heck are you doing?"