~39~

Z was an unreasonable ass. Hades had agreed to a conversation on the beach, knowing Lexi would be the topic, and he had hoped they could discuss the matter like two level-headed gods. But Zeus wasn't level anything, and his voiced boomed like a clap of thunder as he tried to bully Hades.

"Leave her alone or leave the premises!"

"I have as much right to be here as any of the gods. I guarantee, if it were Heracles vying for Lexi's affections you would not be stomping around like an overgrown satyr."

"I would not have to. Heracles performs his obligations without complaint, and he has no need to add to his list of consorts."

"That's because he has a plethora of consorts to choose from. I have but one mate, and we had to resort to trickery to buy us just three months a year. Tell me, dear brother, where is the fairness in that?"

"The earth is filled with willing mortals. Don't tell me you haven't amassed a plethora of consorts yourself."

"They are not looking for anything more than a fuck and don't forget your jacket on the way out," Hades growled, his temper flaring in spite of his efforts. "Your concern for Lexi is based on your own selfish needs. You need her to stay here and keep the gates of your earthly retreat open. How long do you plan to let the charade play out? What happens when she hits her prime and realizes she has stopped aging, or when her gifts reveal themselves? If you wait until then to come clean, the damage will be done and she will curse you for eternity."

"By then, she will know her place. And, like Heracles, she will perform her obligations without complaint."

Hades threw his head back and roared with laughter. Had Z's lofty position relieved him of his common sense? "If you believe that, then you are a fool. How about a compromise? I will back off from Lexi if you tell her she is the daughter of the mighty god, Zeus. Otherwise, I might have to tell her myself, just to even up the playing field."

"Enough!" Sparks flew from Z's fingers as he raised them toward the sky and discharged his anger. Twice in one evening. Z was on a roll. "I forbid you from telling Lexi about her parentage. She will know when it is time for her to know, and not a day sooner!"

"You cannot forbid me from doing anything!" Hades spat. So much for controlling his temper. "I plan to court Lexi like any proper gentleman, and she can make her choice from there."

"Ha! When will you learn that no goddess in her right mind wants follow you to the underworld? Lexi would have to give up her rights to Olympus."

"You mean the Olympus you're denying her because you want her bound to the mortal realm as your servant? You have a sick mind, Z. Immortality does not suit you."

Z contorted his face until his eyes disappeared beneath his pinched brows. This was usually where their conversations ended in an explosion of thunder and fire, but they were on the Maxwell's property, and Z's previous outbursts might have already attracted an audience. Hades took the moral high ground and retreated, making his way back to the path. He knew the conversation was far from over, but Z had enough sense to wait until the risk of exposure was not so great.

As Hades reached the end of the trail, he noticed someone running across the lawn towards the front of the estate. And when the patio light illuminated the figure's auburn hair, his heart leaped into his throat. How much had Lexi discovered?

PLAYLIST SONG: Black Out Days by Phantogram