The Meeting

A knock on the door caused me to turn around. One thing I like about this office is the view of London from the window.

Alicia walked in and closed the door.

"The Prime Minister is here." she said

I nodded and replied "Show him through to the conference room, would you."

"Already done. Gemma is serving him refreshments as we speak."

"Thanks Alicia. I'll be right there." I said, turning to face out of the window again.

Alicia left and I heard the soft click of the door behind her, it never ceases to amaze me how she does that. When I use the door you can hear it down the other end of the corridor.

Taking my hands out of my pockets and taking a long deep breath in and then out again, I turn and head out my office, banging the door rather loudly on the way out.
Damn it, every time.

As I near the conference room, I notice the security detail posted outside the door. One of the officers turns and opens it for me to walk through.

I walk over towards the Prime Minister as the door closes behind me.

"Prime Minister, thank you for coming. I trust you have been looked after so far?" I said.

"Yes, very well thank you. When I was told of the young persons initiative and the benefits that it could have for the country, I felt obligated to attend and hear your proposal." He said in a rather clipped tone. At six foot three, John Granger was stocky and rather imposing, he had an air of authority that few can fail to notice. Having worked his way up the political structure and successfully won the general election just two days before, he was looking tired. Rightly so campaigning can be a major headache.

Straight to the point, I like that but I got the distinct felling that he was here under duress. I can imagine the conversation he had with the Queen when he asked to form a government and got told, in no uncertain terms, he was to attend this meeting.

"I'm afraid that's not why I brought you here, it is true that initiative will be operational shortly but I have a far more pressing matter to discuss." I paused as a look of puzzlement washed over him. Well it's not everyday you are ordered to attend a meeting by the Queen with someone you've never met and to top it all off your not here for the reason why you were told.

"Emma."

"Yes Admiral." came the reply from the speakers hidden in the walls.

"Initiate protocol 14." I replied.

Switching my attention once more to the Prime Minister and in a pleasant and controlled tone I say "Prime Minister please sit down. You are in no danger, what I have to show you requires a certain level of protective caution." I wait for a few seconds and when he fails to move a inch I lower my tone and practically growl at him. "John, I hate to repeat myself, sit down."

I know he's thinking I should have more respect for someone in the position he has attained but i'm about to throw a spanner into those works and this will be difficult enough unless he does as he's told. Better to establish his lack of control now rather than later.

"You can not talk to me like that who the hell do you think you are?" he asked anger creeping across his face as he headed towards the door.

"SIT DOWN!" I yelled.

He sat rather a little too quickly, in the nearest chair available to him, which he must have caught himself doing as he lent back slowly in his chair trying to look at least a little more composed.