Chapter 1

I can't believe I'm really here!

I don't know if I'm thrilled or disappointed, it looks exactly like it does on TV. It's bustling with life, and colour and sound. I turn and hug Lori.

"You're getting married!"

"I'm getting married!" We both squealed. I was so happy for Lori, she was marrying the love of her life, Drew Ford, in Vegas no less. Their wedding had been a long time coming, they had to have everything sorted with immigration first. Fortunately there was no rush, with Lori having a student visa thanks to an exchange between her home university and the college she attended in California.

"I can't believe we managed to get you here, Lory!" Lori cried. We piled out of the taxi with our bags and Drew was there to meet us in front of the hotel.

"It's the dreadful duo!" He called with a grin. I grinned, then averted my eyes as he welcomed his fiancée with enthusiasm. While I wasn't looking he must have freed Lori, because the next thing I knew Drew was swinging me around.

"I'm so glad you could make it for the wedding Mallory." He said formally after he had put me down, the cheeky toad!

"It's good to see you too Drew! It was touch and go for a while there; and I have exactly five days – including travel, the perks of being broke. Where did the money for my tickets and room come from in the end?" I asked, but after a moment it was clear that they just weren't going to answer. I guess I'm why they are having a tiny wedding in Vegas instead of a big traditional wedding.

"So, the wedding is the day after tomorrow; is everything ready?" I asked to break the tension.

"Yes, we just need to pick up the license and the rentals." I looked at Lori, she had her 'I've got a surprise for you' face on.

"Drew, we need one less rental; I have my grandmother's dress, it's been altered but it's still exquisite. Which means that we only need a rental dress for Lory here; and as my only bridesmaid she can pick her own dress – I'll approve it, obviously, but she has such good taste." Drew grinned, he knew how much Lori had wanted to wear her grandmother's dress, and he was so pleased that it had been altered in time. I grinned everything was going to plan, except for the fact that we are still on the footpath outside the hotel.

"Hey guys, I need to make a phone call... let everyone know that I arrived safe and sound in Sin City." I didn't really want to interrupt all the wedding talk, I was almost as excited as Lori... but I think that had more to do with being in the States for the first time.

"Sorry Mallory, you must be tired too. Here, let me take your bags; this is your key, and I'll show you to your room." Drew said. I nodded smiling, and followed him gladly.

Refreshed, and unpacked, I looked up the instructions for using my phone internationally – I never had been a tech geek.

"Hey Mum. I'm here and safe, how's things on your end?" I could hear Mum grinning.

"All is well." She chimed, and I grinned. She could do a Grover impression like no other.

"Good. Text me if you need me, but I don't want to call unless I have to – it ain't cheap."

"Go and have a good time, try and see as much as you can. I know that you've only got a couple of days and the wedding, but you need this sweetheart." I grinned, I never thought that I would ever get out of New Zealand; but here I am in Las Vegas, Nevada. It's almost completely unbelievable.

"I will try. I better go, give everyone my love. I'll be home soon. Bye Mum."

"Bye darling, try to have fun remember." We both hung up and I tucked my phone in my pocket.