The Midnight Release

Chapter 1;

I haven't read anything about how cold California gets in the winter, but I know for a fact that it could roast the devil himself in the dead of summer.

Even after the sun had started to set, the humidity kept me wishing for a noose.

I pulled up into the parking lot for "Tasteful Titles", a movie, game, and book store. The only thing that this place was lacking was a few hipsters in a coffee shop, and that's why I drove through a Starbucks on the way over. I can't get through my day without a peppermint mocha, I'd hate to even try it (totally exaggerating of course.)

As soon as I pulled open the door to the game and movie shop, I was surrounded by a beautiful crowd of eager gamers and movie buffs, and I felt more at home than I had in my entire life. I didn't know a soul in the place, and that was completely fine with me. I moved over to the first table of books I could find and skimmed the titles, hoping to find a new read that seemed remotely interesting that way I could pass my time waiting for the releases. Honestly, I had no idea as to why I was attending this release, but what else- what better things- do I have to do on a Tuesday evening in California? Definitely not working.

After eyeing a comfy, red-leather chair, I plopped myself down into its nice little seat and cracked open a dystopian book about people breathing artificial air. Oh, who needs oxygen, right?

I believe that people become engrossed in books as easily as children in toy commercials, or dogs in toilet bowls, because by the time I lifted the straw one final time, sucking the last bit of mint onto my satisfied tongue, an hour or two had passed, and it was 1:45 in the morning, a dull buzzing of happy cheers and chattering about consoles drifted in and out of my ears. When I decided to lift my eyes from the book, I noticed there were double the amount of people here, and clearly not enough breathing room. I tend to forget the power of the nerdy population, so I waited for a decent amount of space in order for me to get up, and when the time came, I went for it.

I probably could win an award for the 'worst timing' or 'most clumsy', and I wouldn't feel a lick of shame. I got it from my mother.

As soon as the soles of my feet hit the ground, my shoulder smacked hard into someone else, and I had to lean forwards to grab onto them as to not knock us both into the crowd. A quick gasp came from my mouth, and I steadied myself upright, with the other person, and gave a sigh of relief. As my eyes passed from face to face, I finally brought them in front of me, trailing up to meet the hazel eyes of a man who was much taller than me, and much more startled.

"Excuse me, I didn't mean to knock us over," he coughed out awkwardly, furrowing his brow, "guess I didn't see you there."

"It's okay, you know most people don't watch where they're going in L.A., anyways." I shrugged my shoulders a bit and my grip tightened on the empty Starbucks cup I was still holding, and also around my book. I noticed him nod in agreement, a hint of a grin playing on his features.

This man didn't move an inch, though, and we were pressed kind of close together. I don't think I hit him hard enough at all to knock his common sense away, so, why wasn't he moving along? I secured my tank top sleeve upon my shoulder and looked down, now noticing his shirt was bright blue and had this grey, stone block lettering on it. It was like cobblestone from Minecraft! I guess I smiled too much, because I heard him speak up, still rather close to me.

"Oh, are you a fan?"

"No, I'm a human." I protested with mock offense in my voice.

He took a second to process before folding over with laughter, almost knocking heads with me. "No! I mean," he wiped his brow, "are you an Audience member? Do you watch my videos? I saw you looking at the shirt."

Am I a what...? I cocked an eyebrow, meeting his eyes again. I took a quick glance at his shirt once before shaking my head slowly. "Tobuscus? Do you preach or own a stadium or do tricks or something? I mean, why would you have an audience?"

That must have amused him, because he gave out a hearty chuckle. "No, by Audience I mean my fans. I make YouTube videos. I'm Tobuscus! Toby Turner, a nerd, a gamer," he motioned around him, "that's kind of why I'm here. Some of the fans asked me to play something new, and I agree, Minecraft was getting kind of repetitive."

The only thing I cared about was the fact that this man played Minecraft. That made him a little better, it also gave him a common sense boost in my book.

"I can tell by that shirt." I motioned my head towards his chest and grinned, looking around. "So you're a little late to the release I see. I think you might have lost some nerd points, there, don't you?"

"Ah, a true nerd is never late for a release like this," he echoed, "and they sure as hell never have such nice conversations with pretty girls, either."

I couldn't help but widening my eyes at him, my jaw dropping. He was really flirting with me. At a game release. Oh, it was super cheesy... but also super cute. "Is that so, mister Tobuscus?" I shifted back on my heels and examined him. "Are you talking to me or is there someone behind me, you know, this pretty girl you speak of." I looked around dramatically and held back a laugh, meeting his gaze slowly.

"No, it's you, I promise." He rubbed his neck shyly and coughed into his clenched hand. "I uh, I never caught your name.."

"You can call me Taylor." I said in a loud whisper, trying to act like I had a secret to tell. "My real name is Taybuscus though, you can't tell because I don't have it on one of those adorable shirts like you do." I patted his cheek very cautiously, very lightly, and gave him a small smile before finding a gap and making my way towards the exit, leaving my book on the armrest.

As I threw my drink away and pushed through the door, I could hear someone hollering, but I didn't pay much mind to it. I wasn't about to get into anything again, not like last time. Boys were trouble. T-R-O-U-B-L-E. And really, what's so harmful about Skyrim, right? It's better than boys.

But boys do laugh at your jokes.. and they have nice hair..

But DRAGONS!

** Here's the official first chapter. If you read this, I'm actually super appreciative! Let me know how you like it or hate it. I'm always open. I love you Buscuses who read this! Glad to be an Audience member! :) **