chapter 1

Zoro and I were flying over the final jump as I awoke from my dream. I heard my mother calling out my name. Usually my mum would come and wake me up instead of screaming at me from downstairs. As I got out of bed I tripped over my dog.

He yelped so of course I tried to comfort him. His name is Sarge and he is a border collie only 2 years old. He was still a puppy at heart and loved to play games and chase the tractor up the hill. I walked over to my window and opened my blinds. It was a beautiful day and I couldn't wait to go see Zoro. My mother continued to call out my name but this time I replied with "Just a minute I need to get dressed". My mother had a worried tone on her voice as she yelled out once again. "You don't have the time to get dressed you need to get there right now". Knowing that something was wrong I ran down stairs, still in my pyjamas. When I was half way down the stairs I heard my mum say to my dad "look Steve I don't think Zoro will live much longer. I think we have to put him down." My dad replied with "Gemma how are we going to break the news to Kaitlyn?" That was it I ran down the stairs devastated that my parents could even say that. When the saw me the both said "QUICK! We need to get down to the stables right now. Something's wrong with Zoro".

We ran across the wet grass, my socks soaking up the moisture. After what felt like forever we reached the stables. I disregarded all the other horses and went straight to Zoro. As I entered his stable I saw him lying on the floor in distress. The vet was kneeling next to him checking his heart rate. I knelt next to his head placing it in my lap. He was breathing heavily. I could see in his eyes that he was in pain. It brought tears to my eyes knowing that he was in so much pain and distress. He was usually so strong. The vet removed the stethoscope from his ears and as soon as he looked at me I yelled "what is wrong with him? Why is he in pain? Can you fix him?"