chapter 2

I looked into the vets eyes and could tell that he was going to give me news that i didnt want to hear. he climbed to his feet and looked down on me. he said "Zoro has a disease called Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis. it will affect his central nervous system and he will die. It has affected him slowly, causing him pain and discomfort. Unfortunately it is untreatable." I felt my heart sink as soon as I heard the news. I had a million things running through my mind. I turned my mother and said " I cant let Zoro go now! We have been through so much together! its just not fair!" I could hear my mother crying outside the stable door. in my head I knew it was the right thing to let him go and put him out of his pain and suffering, but my heart was telling mt that i couldn't let him go. I sat there stoking Zoro's head as he struggled to breath. I could see that he was struggling to stay with us and i knew then that it was his time to go.

I called the vet in. My heart sank as I told him that I wanted to put Zoro out of his misery. My mother walked and knelt next to me stroking my back telling me that it was for the best. As the vet went to go get the injection, I teared up once again this time remembering all the good times that we had together. the vet came back in and knelt down next to Zoro. He injected the liquid, that I knew would end my boys life. Zoro's breathing slowed and his heart beats became further apart. finally he took his last breath. I sat with his lifeless body caressing his head. later that day we put him to rest in his favourite paddock, which was right next to my bedroom window.

Remembering all the good times we had together made me stronger but at the same time weaker. Little things like running around in the paddock with him and him licking my window at 6 am so he could get cuddles, now meant so much to me.