Finding My Adventure

What is life, really? Is it the measure of good times and bad? Is it the amount of fun you have along the way? What is the definition of life? See, trapped inside these walls that my parents built around me, I don't get to see. I am encased in a shell of hatred and personal space issues. All I've ever done is be at home with both parents and a sister and go to school where I talk to no one. Why am I trapped when everyone else gets to be free? I wish for one day, just one day of my life I could be an average teenager and I could break out of the jail of my own home. I wish the shackles of my parents' wishes could be shed for a day and I could live as a normal kid did. I wish that the world was my oyster, and I could take off the restaints keeping me from that moment. I wish-

I wish - Keith really loved me. Everything about life is always a stupid game! I am constantly reminded of how disconected I am to reality, I just wish for once I could find something normal about the way I live. My name is Liz, I attend Stonewall prepatory school.  Like all highschools there are little clicks I am probably the most lonely person in the entire history of Stonewall, and yeah sure I have a "boyfriend" if thats what girls now a days call a back stabbing monster whos only goal is sex!

I mean, really, what is it about guys and having the worlds most vigorous sex drive. I mean, it's not like life wasn't hard enough for a girl who skipped two grades and was the top of her class, even though she was a Junior and should have been a freshman, but now to have a sophomore boyfriend who had nothing else but sex on the brain 24/7. There had to be a hundred other things wrong in my life, but up until him, I never thought keeping my values would be one of those issues. I hate boys!

Looking back on the day Keith asked me out I can only think of how romantic he was being. He brought a single red rose and a picnic basket... he was a terrible cook, but It was easy to forget when a hunk is wooing you into submission! If only I would have been smart enough to stop our relationship there! But now because of him, because of my parents, because of life I am stuck in this tragedy...

I am stuck in this hell I've dug up for myself. I mean, look at me. I am fourteen years old with a sixteen year old boyfriend who I can't and wouldn't want to see outside of school with two parents that think he's an angel and would never let me break up with him and all I can do is keep saying yes to everything but sex. Maybe if I told my dad he wanted me to have sex with him my dad would kill him and I wouldn't have to see him at school anymore. But do I really want to be known as the girl who had daddy break up with a boy for her? And, I mean, it's not like I wasn't interested in others guys either, I just wanted to get out of the relationship. Ugh.

"Liz! Come out here and help with the dishes.", my mothers voice seemed distant. I stood up so many things rushing around in my head. I went to open the huge door with the all to familiar crack from when I was five. But then something occured to me .... WHY? Ha! why ... whys floated around in my head, why should I put up with this life I want adventure not dishes! Hormones kicked in as I grabbed a pillow case and began filling it with necessaties. I opened my window that looked out onto the lake. I jumped and ran, I had no destination in mind only a motive! "Liz! Where are you? Hurry up" As her mother opened the bed room door she collapsed in horror. "Jim, come quick!"

I heard her scream the final words I thought I'd hear from her as I cast myself onto the branches of the oak tree across my window. As I climbed down the tree, onto the plush grass and rushed out to where I'd left the keys and my motorcycle on the driveway. Even for as young as I was, there was one perk to living outside the city. I got my license when I was fourteen, not fifteen. God bless South Dakota's DMV! Fate had smiled on me, as I usually put my keys in my jacket pocket, not on the seat. This time, they sat, ready for my hand to go, and I took fate's smile and rolled with it, onto the highway I lived off of. Finally, I was free.

Birds of Feather Cafe, it sounded good enough! I was starving, the 6 hour ride left what I thought were permanent indents on my butt. I pushed my motorcycle against the tarnished brick wall and walked inside. 41..42..43, $43.56 as I counted out what was left of my allowence. A woman no less than 200 pounds walked up to take my order... "What can I get you sweet heart?" ... "umm I'll take a chocolate milkshake, no cherry please!" 

"You know you look just like Kathy Cleary"

"Who is that?"

"Honey really she's only the most popular actress this side of the Dakotas. Actually, that's her right there." The woman pointed up at the TV that was mounted on the yellow walls of the restaurants. A young girl who looked almost exactly like me cried in the arms of one of the hottest men I've ever seen. The show didn't look great, but the acting its self was phenomenal.

"I- I can't believe I've never seen her."

"Your not joking, are you. Doll face, you need to get out more. And if I were you, I'd go see if that show needs a stunt double, because you make good money and you get to meet her." That actually wasnt a bad idea. I was low on funds anyway. It's just... I've never thought of acting being anything more than a child hood fantasy. But hey this was my adventure... "Thank you ma'am I will definitely think about it"

I sat back and watched the soppy drama and thought about all that the day entailed.

My thoughts were interrupted by the woman and my chocolate milkshake. But she wasn't alone, a sloppy man covered in stains and sweat stood next to her. "Johnny, ain't this girl look like that Cleary girl?" 

"Yea I guess so?" 

"You guess so? Honey don't listen to him hes no fun, you should seriously consider calling someone!" 

When I went up to pay the woman just laughed, "Oh baby its on me, you go get yourself ready for show biz!" Her hearty chuckle made me smile, but just for a moment.

As I walked out the door, and straddled my motor cycle, I felt the change in my pocket and realized, I was on my way. After starting the engine, after kicking up the stand, I peeled out of that parking lot and into the wide open road, wind in my hair, the smell of the new day and the sound of opportunity calling my name. Heading toward the little town I would soon call home, I set out into the sun, ready for new adventure and crazy fantasy. For once, in the distance, I heard my mother’s voice calling me home and ignored it. For once I wouldn't have to worry about parents or teachers or my stupid boyfriend. I was one-hundred percent and absolutely free. In the wind, I dared a single "Whoo-hoo" as I made my way toward the road of dreams.

I lived in Colorado, my freeing motorcycle journey landed me to the cafe' in Utah. My Journey to Hollywood, California was destined to be a tedious one. Without any sort of map I was feeling kind of lost but soon found myself in Las Vegas. "Great! the land of lies", I thought to myself. With the money I had I stayed at the Roll the Dice Inn right next to a huge casino. As I unpacked the few things I had I realized that over two days I had made more reckless decisions than in a lifetime.