Anu meets Neel

There's a comfort in following routine. People call it boring,I call it empowering.

To know what to expect every second is certainly empowering. Let me tell you how.

When you make up every morning at 6 your hair a complete mess and your manner all groggy then it gives a sense of secureness when you know that you are going to be sipping tea after 12 hours

No worries No spur of the moment plans . Everything laid out with details and time. I sound like a typical teacher,all nerdy and geeky who likes discipline.

Discipline is good for success whereas control makes us feel powerful.

Also being in control feels kind of relaxing.

Kind of like Hakuna Matata.

Well,not exactly like that. But you know what I'm trying to say.

Anyways people these days are asking me how my married life is going on. By people I mean middle aged, house-wives-by-noon,my fellow teachers.

I just smile all coyly and shrug my shoulders. Its enough invitation for them laugh and launch their own sad-sarcastic-funny stories .

I let everyone talk, nodding at the right parts projecting the image of an attentive listener.

However,I do not talk much when the subject becomes personnel. My contribution to the staff room talks is strictly qualitative. Like whenever there comes up the subject of sarees or is the latest vamp better than earlier one in 'Saas-Bahu' tv serials.

That convinces the others that I'm pretty normal.

Also,I believe that my marriage of convenience is a very personal business.Not many people know about it. Even the close ones.

Yes, that's right.

Mr and Mrs Neel Majumdar have a marriage of arrangement/convenience.

I mean why two very different people who are in love with someone else would choose marry each other?

But before you judge us,dismissing us as cliche,better know our situations.

The day I met Neel

Neel orders us both coffee.

I start the way I usually started ,"I'm going to be honest and open with you."

He nods and interrupts,"I appreciate honesty. That's why I've to tell you this."

No! My mind yells internally. I want to reject you,not the other way around. And I started this conversation anyway,it huffs.

For someone grown up and practical my mind's stupid enough to get serious about such petty things.

He was saying,"I know how hard it can be for divorced women to...settle down,after having a terrible experience...going through it once is enough..."

Hold that thought.

Did he think that I was a 'divorcee'? Is that what mausi is telling people?

"No."

Neel looks up and l proceed," I'm a widow. Not a divorcee."

"Oh.I'm sorry." He has the grace to look embarrassed and I forgive him immediately.

"So,I guess you are not too enthusiastic to go through it again?"

I shake my head. I'm intrigued by what he has to say. If he had to decline, he would have done quickly. Maybe he's being a gentleman.

"I'm not either." He confesses.

Our order is placed on the table and as soon as the waiter leaves,I lean forward and ask,"Are you divorced?"

"No.I've never been married."

It's my turn to get embarrassed.

"Sorry."

"That's alright. But I've been terribly compromised."

My ears prick up and my eyes go wide.

He backtracks and says,"I was in love with this girl whom I had known since college. She was in love with me too. But the second her family found out about us,they took her away to their native hometown. And they threatened me quite badly.So,now I must get married. To show them that I won't come in their sister's life.It's their condition." He shrugs.

" And did you took this matter to police?"

He shakes his head and says,"Have you heard of the Yadavs ?"

I nod my head and say,"Yes,of course. They are the unofficial financers of the ruling party and they have this huge business."

"Yes. I was in love with his cousin." Neel says grimly.

"Oh." That's an understatement. His girlfriend was a Yadav?

Whoa. His story sounded very filmy. Only he wasn't quite a hero.

I mean what kind of hero doesn't stand up for his love?

Definitely a coward.

Yet..I wasn't following where this conversation was going.Somehow I was getting the feeling that the story he just told me was not complete.

"Look, here's my proposition." Opening his hands he explains ,"Marry me and you'll be living your own life,you way. We'll be living like roommates. But on paper and for society,we'll be married. "

I look at the menu of the cafe,trying to make sense of what he has just said.

His proposition seemed spot on and he was right. Like he has his reasons, I have mine.

I have to get married.

I was avoiding this thought,but a certain turn of events have cleared my doubts.

The proposal seemed like a tempting leeway.

"Take your time." Neel says.

I take in a deep breath and said," We need some ground rules."

Relief floods his gaunt face and a smile plays around his lips as he says,"Thank you."

I hold my hand up and say," And not a word to my family."

He makes up a zipping action against his lips and we both shake hands in our newly found comradeship.