Chapter 6

“Hey, gorgeous!” Harry called as he opened the door of the flat and stepped inside, a huge grin on his face.

There was no reply, and at first he thought that perhaps Louis wasn’t home, but the blazing lights spoke for themselves. Wondering why the door had been locked, Harry took a step forwards, and was alerted to the sound of crumpling paper underneath his foot.

 Looking down, he felt his heart give a horrible lurch as he blinked at the envelope he had just stepped on. Slowly, as if in some kind of awful trance, he picked up the stark white paper that had his name scrawled on it in vaguely familiar clumsy handwriting, and he flipped it over in an instant, ripping it open with a horrible pang of dread.

Ugly, crude words typed in a hideous font greeted him starkly, and he shuddered as he looked down at them in horror.

And you can’t hide.

Harry felt sick. He scrunched the paper up in his fist.

“Lou?” he called weakly.

“In here,” came the faint, nervous reply from the kitchen.

Walking blankly forwards, he stepped into the room. Louis was sat on one of the kitchen chairs, hunched over the table with his fingers twisted in his hair and an agitated expression on his face. In front of him on the worktop was a torn white envelope, and a piece of paper with a similar short, malevolent sentence typed on it. Looking up, Louis shoved the sheet across the surface at Harry, who picked it up and read it with horror twisting his stomach.

You can’t run.

Wordlessly placing his own message on the counter, Harry looked fearfully at the two notes side by side.

You can’t run. And you can’t hide.

“What do we do, Harry?” Louis asked.

Harry stood behind him, putting his arms around Louis’ waist and resting his chin on his shoulder. “I don’t know,” he whispered.

“The messages, the phone calls…Harry, what do we do?”

“I don’t know!” Harry buried his neck in Louis’ shoulder. “I need to think.”

“Harry, they know where we live!”

“I know that!”

“They know what you did!”

“I know that too!” Harry swore and closed his eyes.

“We can’t let this slide. This is harassment. We have to call the police.” Louis reached for his phone.

“No!” Harry grabbed his hand. “We can’t. That’ll only make things worse. The police never do anything. We’ll only live to regret it.”

“What should we do, then?”

“I could take him out,” Harry said calmly.

What?”

His voice was cool and calculating; the voice of a boy who had killed before. “I could go looking for him. I could do it right now. He’d be out of our lives for good. We’d be safe…”

“Harry, no!” Louis twisted in his chair and shoved Harry violently backwards. Seconds later, he was scrambling out of his chair and facing up to Harry with a terrified and angry expression. “No. Don’t you dare. Do you hear me, Styles? Don’t. You. Dare.” He punctuated every word by poking Harry hard in the chest.

“I could do it,” Harry said softly. “I’ve killed before. I could find him…”

“Don’t make me slap you!” Louis threatened.