Now Something More

It's been a week since I've seen Ben. And I keep thinking about that sweet little girl and how we have the same locket with our names engraved on it.
   I try not to think about the fact that he stayed for her instead of me but it stays locked inside my brain and I just can't seem to find the key to get it out. 

I huff dramatically as I try to get ready for this "date" thing with Laken. Is this a date? Because I've been wondering why he needed a chance so badly with me. Is it to be friends? Or something more? I don't know. But it's not like Cynthia would understand because she has a boy toy every other week and she's been literally dying for me to find someone. To her, Laken's a plus.
He has the good looks AND he actually is begging for a chance wth me.
WITH ME.
Or at least that's what Cynthia has said to convince me to go out with him.

But I don't know about this. I mean look how my parents turned out. My biological father ran out on both my mother and I. How am I supposed to 'fall in love' with that kind of past?

Cynthia decides to finally break my mental headache by giving me a pep talk, which by the way she is very good at.

"Earth to Kara?! Hello?!"

She does this until I break myself out of this mental debate.

"I'm sorry, Cynth. It's just that to be honest, I'm scared of what's going to happen tonight. Does it look like I even know how to date?", I say defeated.

"Kar, it'll be okay. And do you know why?"

I give her a questioning look.

"No, why?"

"Because you're Kara Storm! You've dealt with the loss of not having a father and the loneliness of being without your mother because she's had to work three or four jobs to pay the bills! You're the same little girl that befriended me when I moved here and that's why I love and believe in you! You can so do this!"

"Thanks Cynth, I really needed that."

"That's why I'm here, Kar."
She says as she gives me this duh look.

I sigh as I let her get back to fixing me up while I still am able to sit here and worry about what's to come tonight.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Laken arrived at my door, right on time. That wasn't a surprise considering what he and Cynth went through trying to convince me.
I'm still wary about tonight but I decided to say what the heck and just give it a try.

He smiled when I opened the door.

"You look beautiful." He whispered.

I was a little bit weirded out by his whispering but just let go.

"thanks..." I politely responded.

But then when am I ever polite to this pretty boy?

I smirk as he opens the passenger door for me and after I hop in and he closes the door, I lock it from the inside.

I mentally high five myself for this idea.

When he tries to open his door, the door doesn't budge and I just sit there like an angel until he realizes that the doors locked. He face palms his forehead and motions for me to unlock the door. I feign innocence as he slides in the car and looks at me.

It takes me a while to say something.

"What?" I ask.

"You know why I'm looking at you."

I still act as if I didn't do anything to the door.

"No I don't." I say defiantly.

He glares at me for a second longer before he starts the ignition.