Prologue

Prologue

      I kicked up the dirt and glared into Matt’s eyes as I said, “I can’t do this right now Matt! I need to go home. This party blows anyways.”

      The tall blonde boy grabbed me by the elbow, gently, as he exclaimed, “Wait! Elena, I'm sorry! Please don’t go.”

      I sighed and turned to him, his face doubling in my drunken haze, and mumbled, “I am really sorry Matt. I want to go home. I shouldn’t have snuck out here anyways. I am going. Goodnight, Matt.”

      I reluctantly kissed his cheek, the smooth shaven cheek cooled from the night air against my lips, and turned and walked away. He protested for a couple of seconds before giving up. I could feel his disappointed gaze on my back.

      I shook my head and walked away from the trucks and kegs that had gathered for the party, creating a glow of lights that would surely get me busted by cops if I stayed.

      I stumbled a bit down the road as I dialed the home phone number. I braced myself for the disappointment I was surely going to get from my parents. The phone clicked and my father’s groggy voice said, “Elena? Why are you calling?”

      I bit my lip nervously and muttered, “Dad, I need you to come get me. I am down my the Lockwood estate. I went to the party. I am so, so, sorry. I shouldn’t have disobeyed you guys.”

      My father sighed unhappily and said, “We will talk about this when we get there. Your mother woke up so we will both be coming to pick you up. You are going to be in trouble though.”

      I thanked him and hung up my phone. I began walking closer to where I knew they would be picking me up when my phone rang. I looked at the ID of who was calling and saw it was one of my two best friends, Bonnie.

      I clicked accept and put the cell phone to my ear, saying, “Hey Bonnie. Aren’t you at the party still?”

      She responded, “No. I left a while ago, but not too early to witness the fight between you and Matt. He was really upset when you left, Elena.”

      I rolled my eyes and spoke into the phone, saying, “I know. But he has everything for our future planned out. I am pretty sure he even planned how many kids we will have!”

      I could practically see her rolling her eyes as she said, “Well, he can’t help it! You keep leading him on. You know you have to tell him how you really feel!”

      I sighed into the phone and said, “I know Bonnie, you’re right. You and my mom both are. I just can’t bring myself to tell him. At least not tonight. I’ll call you later.

      I hung up the call as I saw a man lying in the road not too far from where I had been walking. I looked to my right for about two seconds and all of the sudden the man had appeared right before me.

      He had a slight beard, as if he hadn’t shaved. He was tan flawless skin and disheveled black hair. His eyes were a gorgeous bright blue, and they had a wild yet sexy look in them. I was almost immediately extremely taken by him.

      He looked at me, a bewildered look in his eyes, and said one simple word, “Katherine?” His voice was as sexy as he was. I looked behind me, trying to see who he was talking to. There was no one else.

      I looked behind me one more time before saying, “No – um – I… I’m Elena.” He had a looked of understanding, and his eyes softened a bit. He looked even sexier, as if that were possible. His eyes raked my body and I felt self-conscious and creeped out to be honest.