4

Inhaling deeply, I begin what could be my last words.
"I know what you're all thinking, what you think you know about humans. That we are all the same. That we cut, conclude, and kill everything, but if that is true, then you are becoming just like us, or even worse by concluding all of our lives." I look each panel member in the eye. "That's not to say that I think we destroy everything we touch. Humanity is something special. We are smart. We think outside of the box, not just our box but yours too. Sometimes, admittedly we can get into trouble because of this. But that is all you focus on. You don't see the good in us." I sigh, as if ashamed. "So STOP, look around you, if I was this stupid, greedy, materialistic girl, would I be standing here right now, putting my life on the line, after you took my sisters?
"Don't just think of us as these things, think of us as you think of you. There's an old saying in my world, "Treat others the way you want to be treated." I realize we have made mistakes, we are not perfect but genocide does not fix the problem. How would you feel if someone just showed up one day and ordered your death? Or the death of a family member? And then everyday that that person is gone, you think of them and cry. I speak from experience, and if you decide against me, then my family will again. But maybe, maybe I'm the last volunteer, and then there will be no one to think of me when I'm gone. They'll all be dead and god knows you won't care. So save us, because we'd save you." I wish I had a mic to drop, but instead I just turn around and sit down.
But my confidence doesn't last long as Gustavus stands with a flourish, "How dare she speak to us that way, how can she speak so disrespectfully and not be punished." He starts, outraged. "And what kind of a debate was that? With that being said, I rest my case." Gustavus sits down and stares at the jury.
"Thank you debaters." The judge begins, "Now if I can have the jury please vote by raising their hands."
What kind of a courtroom is this? I think to myself. Who raises their hands to decide the death of a race?
"In favor of humanity?"
0 out of 10 raise their hands and my heart plummets.
"In favor of genocide?"
0 out of 10 raise their hands, what?
"In favor of sacrificing the girl and saving humanity?"
ALL TEN HANDS GO UP.
I nearly let out a scream and I can feel the blood boiling in my veins. I feel a whimper escape my lips, so faint, no one hears but me.
I don't really see it and am so wrapped in my thoughts that I almost miss the sound of the gunshot.
As the blackness engulfs me I don't think of what I should, of the fact that the human race survived. No I think of myself and my family, because I am human, and humans are selfish.
----
Thank you so much everyone for so many views! I hope you all loved the story. If you want to know a bit more about any aspect of the story, I'm hoping to write another book from the past, before Carol died even. Follow me to see what I'm talking about and cast your vote as to the type of story.

Thanks you're all the best! ☺️