Chapter 16: Critical

Eyes still closed, awaiting my doom, I expected myself to hit the ground. As if in a scene enacted in slow motion, I fell gently into something not as hard as the ground. I smiled, my precious soul was saved.

Opening my eyes slowly, a familiar figure peered right into my dark eyes.

I sat up, finding myself on a large and strong cloth. Even worse, Mr Jenkins the annoying Detective was holding the cloth. I stared at him in disbelief.

So it was him who saved my life.

I hated to thank him for it. How did he know that I fell off a tree? Unless...he actually stalked me. That was creepy.

He smiled idiotically, showing his pearly white teeth. "Darling," he crooned.
His fake smile turned into a threatening frown. "You better marry me one day, or else you will forever regret..." He hissed.

I laughed mockingly. I would never agree to this request. Never. He was a stalker, schemer and a fox in disguise.

He pulled me close to him, as if we were a couple.
At the same time, Jace came out with the woman.
He was shocked when he saw the both of us. Startled, I tried to pull myself away from him but to no avail. I could tell that Jace was hurt.

"Jace!" I managed to yell before Mr Jenkins covered my mouth with his hand. "You keep your mouth shut. Got that?"

Jace stormed off and slammed the door behind him.

Why did things turn out like this?

I pushed Mr Jenkins away. He grinned smugly at me. "Remember what I told you, young lady."
In a flash, he was gone.

I looked up and saw a hostile Jace staring down at me from the window. He would no longer want to be my brother, I knew.

We might be enemies forever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for taking ages to update! I also updated the previous chapter and added a few more things to it. If you do not know what is happening in this chapter, do check out chapter 15 first! Do vote and comment too! Hoped that you loved the story! :)