Alone

Alone

"alone, yes, that's the key word, the most awful word in the english tongue. Murder doesn't hold a candle to it, and hell is just a poor synonym." - Stephen King

I need help

Mine was a life of solitude. I never really liked to hang around people, but I guess that was perfectly fine because no one really liked to hang around me. Even my own family, never hung around or contacted me. I pushed them all away. As soon as I had enough money I moved out, I got my own house that was FAR away from the city, it was about a two hour drive. I made sure that I lived miles away from all other houses. I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be bothered, in fact I didn't even have cell reception where I lived, for maximum solitude. I had a job that only required the use of my computer and internet. I made websites for people, It was a pretty easy job, and paid well. The house itself was a nice house, had a very cabin in the woods feel to it, but nice none the less. The house I lived in was a small two floored, one bedroom one bathroom type of house. I had lived in my home for years, but nothing like this has ever happened. It started around a week and a half ago, I haven't left my house since. I'm running out of food at this point.

I was outside around 7:00 PM, it was summer so the sun was still out. I decided to take a stroll around my house. I lived in a field mostly but there were some wooded areas around my house as well. I knew the land very well, and would frequently venture out. Today I was heading towards the river out into the woods located on the far left side of my house. When I arrived there, it was peaceful like usual since there was no one to bother me.

That was when I noticed... it. A tall dark figure standing on the opposite side of the river off in the distance, barely concealed by the trees. At first I was sure that I was seeing things, because it didn't move or anything, but with a closer look I thought it was a person. I was wrong to think that. I wondered to myself, what the heck is a person doing here of all places? I found it very surprising since there was never anyone here, I've only seen one person during my time here and that was because they were lost. I decided to walk farther along the river away from the person, I looked back frequently and it still didn't move. I went home, at this point I didn't want any awkward situations. I paid no thought to this since I thought it was probably a one time thing until three days later, I decided to go fishing and headed to the river. Upon arriving I noticed that dark tall figure still off in the distance. I stared in disbelief, who was this person? I paid no attention that the thing was in the same exact spot as last time. I remembered thinking, great, I guess I can't go fishing peacefully, since this person is disturbing the peace. Then I decided to cross the river and give this person a piece of my mind. I took a step into the river being able to feel the cold of the flowing water even through the waterproof boot I wore. The water wasn't very high, it being partially lowered due to the summer's heat.

"HEY!" I called out as I exited the river and started walking through the bushes towards the figure. It still didn't move, or even flinch. I stopped, something unnerved me about this thing, like REALLY unnerved me. It seemed off, nothing seemed right about it but I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. "What are you doing here?! Didn't you see the private property sign?! I-I have a gun with me, and, well, I'll shoot!" This was a lie, There was no property sign and I obviously wasn't the guy who owned any guns, Though you could probably tell from my voice that I was intimidated. I just wanted to scare the person or at least get a reaction from them. I found it very unnerving how they didn't move. Even after I threatened them, they didn't flinch still. just stood there. I then wondered briefly if this thing was even a person or alive, I thought for a moment that this might just be a tree or something. This was later debunked as the more I drew closer to it, the more I became aware of a low, droning hum.