1

"Look, Mr. Addams. Once again, I cannot assure your safety living here. I've been very clear about the history of this apartment. And I've been very clear about the reviews of this particular apartment. I've had five tenants leave this place, claiming it was haunted."

"Please, Mr. Thompson. Believe me! For this price, for a fully furnished apartment, I'll make friends with Casper. Plus, I don't believe in ghosts." Arden Addams smiled a toothy grin. Since he left Springfield, he tried to keep his outlook cheery. The only ghosts in his life were the memories of Serena. She still danced around his mind. Every corner of Springfield held thoughts of the past, thoughts of her smile, her beauty, her laugh. Everything about that place was soaked in nostalgic mist that now felt like daggers in Arden's skin. Though he left behind friends, family, and his beloved students, this fresh start was what he needed.

The school was especially painful. Every hallway started flashbacks of secret kisses shared between the two teachers, every students' pitiful stare felt like flames under his skin. They had all known the late Mrs. Addams. It was a small high school. She'd taught all sorts of mathematics to most of the them. The majority of them had attended the funeral. So he had to get away, and for him, Chester was just the place to do that.

It was pouring rain the day Arden moved in. All he had brought was his laptop, and a few boxes of clothes, books, and knick-knacks, as the apartment had most of the furniture he needed. A bed and a fridge was all he required, but the flat was fleshed out nicely. It was a simple two bedroom thing, with a small kitchen, complete with a bar to sit at, as there was hardly space for a table. Each bedroom held a queen sized bed and a desk, as well as a small closet. The living room had a love seat and a flat screen, along with a sturdy oak coffee table. It was good enough for him. It was plain, but he didn't particularly care for decorating. That had always been Serena's department.

Arden sat his boxes down one by one on the coffee table. He kept going from his car to his second story apartment, so he was soaked to the bone from the downpour. Finally done, he took off his coat, threw it on the loveseat, and plopped down right next to it. The apartment seemed cold, though he hadn't turned the air conditioning on yet. A chill from the rain, he figured. He glanced around the room, trying to feel satisfied. He didn't though, and he was afraid he might not feel that way every again.

A knock at the door pulled him away from the deepening sadness. It was a woman, very short, and a little plump. She had short, curly, dark brown hair that was stuffed into a beanie, though a few locks had escaped. She had dark skin and full, red lips. She was very beautiful. She introduced herself as Andrea.

"Seen Guin yet?" Andrea asked excitedly, after having been invited in.

"No, I'm afraid not. And who is this Guin, may I ask?" Arden smiled, moving his coat from the loveseat, so she did not feel impeded to have a seat. He had a sneaking suspicion that he did actually know who she was, but he feared admitting to it.

"The girl who used to live here. Every other person who's moved in since she died claims that she haunts the apartment. Guin Hampton, was her name. She was straight up murdered here." Andrea grinned, as though she enjoyed the gruesome tale. She sat down as she spoke, crossing her legs.

"Did you know her?" Arden mused, perching on the opposite armrest. He might as well entertain his guest, though he was firmly against the belief of such things.

"I'd met her, when she and her roommate moved in. I got to be fast friends with her roomie, Laurie, but Guin... she didn't say much. At least not to me. Every time I came over, she hid in her room. The left bedroom. If it'd bother you to use it. But, I'm not a big believer in ghosts."

"What happened to her?"

"Me and Laurie were at a Halloween party. Guin  had to work, but she refused to go either way. She thought Halloween was stupid and childish. Anyway, we came back around 3, she was dead on the coffee table. We called the police and they said she'd been strangled."

"I'm so sorry. That must've been hard." Arden felt that stabbing feeling in his gut. Death brings up death, and once again, Serena grazed his mind.

"Like I said, I didn't know her that well. Laurie was pretty broken up about. Since it was the end of the month, she moved straight out. They weren't sure if it was a random killing or not, and L didn't feel safe here. She didn't think the place was haunted, though. Pretty much every other tenant has though."

"Have you ever seen her? The ghost her, anyway?"

"No. Like I said I'm not a big believer. I don't wanna creep you out."

"What would creep me out? Does blood ooze from the wall?" Arden chuckled.

Andrea half-smiled. "Nah, nothing like that. It's just... you know how people say when there's a ghost around there's a cold spot?"

"I've heard that."

"This is the only apartment in the building that stays cold. It used to be like a sauna in here, like my place is."

"Well, I'll chalk it up to a draft. I don't believe in ghosts."

"Okay, Mr. Tough Guy, I'll leave you alone about it. So, what brings you to these parts?"

"I've suffered a loss. With it, my heart hangs heavy and makes my feet carry on to greener pastures." Arden's eyes gazed down at the floor.

"Damn. You're quite a poet. And I'm sorry to hear that, too. Ghosts of the past are worse than ghosts of the dead."

"You're quite a poet yourself, Andrea."

"And I didn't even know it." She smiled widely, showing off her pearly white teeth. "I'll let you get to your day. I live right across the hall, 203, If you ever need me."

"It's nice meeting you, and I'll let you know if I need to call the Ghostbusters for me." Arden joked as he escorted her out. He chuckled to himself as he shut the door behind her. He turned around to see his coat slide off the box pile and on to the floor.

I hope that wet coat didn't soak through the boxes. I need to hang it up if it's so wet it's slippery. Hah, slippery when wet.

A plain, slender girl with blonde hair, straight-across bangs and dark, muddy brown eyes stood next to the coffee table. A frown was plastered on her face, and her small features scrunched together. She crossed her freckled arms in defiance.

And Arden walked right through her.