Part One: Love In Shadows

The two rode into the sunset, weary of their long journey. The weeks of constant travel left the two drifters exhausted and malnurished.  His dry lips have been desperate for a drink of water and her eyes seemed dead.  Sam stepped off his motorcycle to give Kaya a break.  The trip had taken more out of her than Sam, even though he’s been the one who has to pay attention to the road. 

“I think we should rest here tonight” Sam said as he pulled the bike into a covering by what looked like a poor excuse for a house.

  The shingles were falling off in all directions.  There were approximately three giant rotten holes in the front of the house along with countless numbers of bullet holes.  The house had seen war but still stood strong.  It gave off a color of faded brown and the bricks looked ancient. 

   Sam had his feel of adulthood since his 23rd birthday was only last week.  He checked his watch for the date and the time but it would take a minute after charging from the solar battery. The technology of their time ensured them that even in such an epidemic as they were in, they would always know what day it was.  Funny, to know that corporations can always remind you of the date and time but not be able to stop the entire world from shooting nuclear warheads at each other.  This thought always reminded Sam of how much he hated what the world had become.  His father had always warned him, that the world’s leaders have lost all regard for peace. 

After the first bombs went off, Sam’s life of a 17 year old living in Liverpool was quite normal.  Good school life, good friends, good girlfriend, and a loving family.  He always dreamt of being a writer and living by himself with his dog and lover.  Alone, living on the bare minimum but appreciating every day. All hopes of a normal future were blown away just as his friends and family were evaporated by waves of pure nuclear power.  Christie, the love of his life, was gone to the wind.   They had been in love since they could walk.  She was gone along with the others.  He was lucky that he was visiting his uncle in Berlin when the first bombs went off in Washington D.C. then New York, and so on and so forth until the bombs reached the English Channel.  All he knew was swept away in an instant.

 Kaya’s story is still unknown, well at least her childhood.  Sam knew about her from when he would visit his uncle. It was weird to find another British citizen living in the heart of Germany.  He had always thought she was beautiful, but he remained loyal to Christie.  He always had that little crush on her and she always seemed to be happy when he started visiting when he was 12.  Kaya was about 21 and barely spoke enough even before the bombs.  He had more in common with Kaya than Christie. They shared the love of the Rolling Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and almost every type of movie.  Kaya expressed interest in photography.  Not original but she had passion in her work.  Christie was very attractive, not just her looks but her personality as well.   Everyone wanted to be near her and every guy wanted her as his own.  She knew about Kaya of course but if she had known of her fate, Christie would most likely be on the back of that motorcycle.

 Armed with a pistol with nine bullets and a combat knife, Sam slowly entered the rigid house.  Kaya began unloading the bike.  It was big enough to fit everything they needed: A tent, enough food to last for a month, and some clothes to change in case of bad weather.  Kaya kept a small knife on her at all times just in case Sam wasn’t able to protect her.  There were only two occasions in the last 4 years where lives were lost at Sam’s hand.  He wasn’t a violent type, but if threatened mercy be on the man who is in his way.  After checking all the rooms, it was ok to come inside for the night.   The past nine months of sleeping in a tent began to become tiresome on the two travelers.  A night in a warm bed out of the cold was like a day of paradise.  Kaya hasn’t spoken since they last got fuel about 4 weeks ago.  The two saw a middle age women begging for food, they couldn’t help her and the motorcycle couldn’t fit three.  Every life lost in this tragedy was a needle in Kaya’s soul, poking her and prodding her until she became a miserable wreck.