Chapter II: The Unknown Pokémon

The day resumed without much more excitement. They made good distance as the sun decent past the mountains in the horizon. With the sky quickly dissipating into the darkness of night, Riviére, Tatsu, and Hanako stood around a common campsite used by trainers that stay overnight between Pallet Town and Viridian City. It was one of many dotted around the routes for trainers to use while on their journey.

"So, why didn't you want us to buy sleeping bags?" asked Riviére as she stood by the fire pit.

Tatsu surveyed a flat spot, as if taking measurements in his head. "Yeah, this will do," he said as he reached into his pocket and took out a small case. He turned his head over to Riviére and Hanako and smirked at their perplexed expressions. "You two remember how I said I had a top secret product that the Silph Co. was testing?" said Tatsu as he opened the case and took out an oblong capsule that looked like a stretched Poké Ball. Clicking the top, Tatsu underhand tossed the capsule as far as he could. The capsule popped open like a Poké Ball, blinding white light enveloping the area. As the light dissipated, a one story oval house appeared where there was nothing seconds later.

"Wh-what the hell!" exclaimed Riviére in surprise. "When did they put houses in Poké Balls?"

"That's amazing!" said Hanako in wonder as she walked towards the oval house and stopped at the door. "How did they do it?"

"It works just like Poké Balls," explained Tatsu as he walked to the door and opened it. Hanako and Riviére poked their heads inside and looked on in amazement. Inside the oval house was a fully furnished house with a complete kitchen with stove, refrigerator, a large freezer for storing, sink, dishwasher, and cupboards, and a long table with four chairs. The living room was also furnished with a couch, armchair, 60" TV and TV stand, coffee table, end tables, coat rack, shelves for books, and lamp. There was a small hallway that split off into what seemed to be a bathroom and a bedroom. Beside the bathroom entrance was a washer and dryer. "The capsule converts the object into data, and it stores it inside. When you return it to the capsule, everything will be the exact same as when it was returned. They are called Pokémon Capsules, or PokéCaps for short."

"Wow, science is amazing," said Hanako as they walked inside, removing their shoes at the door mat before stepping onto the carpet.

"How did you get this?" asked Riviére.

Tatsu put his jacket on the coat rack and jumped onto the couch, crossing his arms and legs. "My grandparents are Professor Blaine, the Cinnabar Gym Leader, and Professor Fuji. They are prominent scientific figures and both have connections in Silph. Before I arrived at Pallet Town, I got a call from Grandpa Blaine and he asked if I would be interested in testing out their product. If the test goes well, it will hit the market at the end of next year. Starting price being set at about $750,000."

"That's insanely expensive," said Riviére, taken back by the high price. "Shouldn't they lower the price?"

"Maybe, but they function for more than just trainers out on the road. People can live in them long term, and can move their homes if need be. Silph Co. is working on making larger homes with more bedrooms too." said Tatsu as Riviére and Hanako sat in the armchairs beside the couch. "It also protects trainers from the environment, as well as many other factors. Not only that, but they are working on making vehicles for easy transportation. Silph Co. has a vision of making PokéCaps useful for everyone, not just trainers."

"Is it possible for someone to accidentally be trapped inside?" asked Hanako as she looked around the living room.

"Not possible. It works like a Poké Ball; humans can't be put in Poké Balls as a Poké Ball will reject the human once the scan of the genetic material begins."