Part iv

I caught sight of the ambulance, I was so relieved that I was no longer responsible for the mother and baby but I was still trembling with fear for them. The paramedics began CPR. There was a tense atmosphere waiting for the results- whether it would be good or bad.

The mother spluttered up water and revealed her dazed and exhausted eyes. A cheer broke out from the paramedics and the ambulance crew, sensing a positive result the shop assistant and I joined in. At this stage a few locals had gathered around having heard about it on the radio. A beach that usually had nobody in sight had a cluster of people that seemed to be increasing. She sat up, unable to speak, we gave a big clap but then the heads and attention was drawn to the baby.

The paramedics with the baby were not having as much luck. I could almost hear a dozen hearts pounding. The mother began to sob. It was very overwhelming. Everybody gathered in a circle around. It took another thirty contractions before the baby's eyes fluttered open. She started up at the crowd petrified and innocent. Her face was beginning to regain colour and so was the mothers.

The mother swooped up her child and the people gave a whole-hearted cheer. "It's all thanks to this girl," she exclaimed pointing at me. I flushed.

I became a heroine in my village and i felt proud. I had saved the mother, I had saved the baby and I had saved their future.

However there were still some unanswered questions that were occupying my mind before I could enjoy the publicity I was going to receive from local radio stations and newspapers. What was the mother doing far out at sea with a little baby during a strong current? Could she have been trying to drown the baby? If that is so, why? I needed to take on a detective role and figure out the answers to these questions.