C2: Aftermath

All of them immediately left after that incident. They ran out in the dark, no sight of anything. All that was heard were their heavy breaths and their quick footsteps on the grass. James finally reached his doorstep, paranoid and scared for his life. He knocked on the door and tried to stay completely calm; he didn't want his mom to know what had happened. Mrs. Hanley finally opened the door. "Oh, you're back!" she said suspiciously. "H-Hi!" he said, still trying to hide his fear, but also realizing something was going on inside the house. He sneaked a peak behind his mom. Mrs. Hanley asked if something was wrong, as he saw a well dressed man with a glass of wine in his hand, looking at the desk in their living room. James gasped with anger. "Who is that!" he yelled. His mother gasped. "James! Quiet down!" "No, who the hell is that?" he continured yelling. He didn't care if he was still afraid, he slammed the door and ran down the street. Nobody would ever be another dad for him.  

          James sat down on the corner of Harrogate, palms on eyes, not looking up. His mother was walking towards him and finally sat as she got to his side. James was furious. "Go away!" he sobbed. "Just go! I can't believe you never told me! I cannot believe you already love somebody else! How could you, mom? How could you? I trusted you, I thought we were all still getting over it together, mom!" "We are", she said, "But we have to move on sometime, James. We have a future ahead of us, and nothing is gonna change if we keep dwelling on the past." "It was last week, mom, it's not the past yet. I'll never get over it, never! Did Kaylee know about this?" he asked, his eyes filled with anger. Mrs. Hanley shook her head, "Kaylee wouldn't understand." "Why did you have to keep it from me? You can trust me!" James said. "Well, I was trying to avoid this moment here, and tell you both at the right time." All of a sudden, James saw a figure walking toward them, a woman figure. It was Ashley's mother. Oh no... he thought, Ashley tattle taled, didn't she? 

          "He- Oh! Sorry! Am I interrupting?" she said, trying not to interfere with their conversation. James' mother turned to see Mrs. Zaine. She smiled and told her she wasn't interrupting anything. James begged to differ. "Okay, well I came over to say that Ashley hasn't come home, yet. I saw that you came home, James, and supposed that she would be home soon as well." James looked disturbed and confused. Was she left behind? he wondered. "James", Mrs. Zaine asked, "Did everyone else go home as well? Joshua and Zoey?" James nodded, still very confused. "Huh", said Mrs. Hanley, "That's interesting! Should we go check the forest? See if she's still there?" "NO!" yelled James, followed by an awkward silence. "James!" said Mrs. Hanley, and also apologizing to Mrs. Zaine. James apologized as well, but trailed off when he looked at his house's window. Kaylee's room light was on, but his mother already tucked her in. "M-Mom?" James said. She looked at James. "Yes?" "Kaylee's room" he said as he pointed. The light was still on, which helped show a crouched figure, who had a knife in his hand, leaning over Kaylee's bed. Mrs. Hanley screamed in terror.