Chapter two: smiles and frowns

Smoke swarmed around me, as I tried to find my brother. Screams filled my ears, getting louder and louder by the second.

"Xen!" I yelled out helplessly. No movement could be seen as I tried my best to keep going further into the smoke.
"Xen!!" I screamed out again, knowing he wouldn't be able to hear me over the agonising screams.

My body weak with fatigue moved deeper into the mysterious smoke as I repeated my brother's name over and over again.

My vision had blurred, but I could faintly see a figure coming towards me.
"Xen?" I called out, terrified of the person walking my way.

I stumbled backwards when the figure that stood in front of me stayed silent.
"Answer me," I trembled. Ignoring me the figure took a step closer.

"Ellen!" I turned my head at the familiar voice, Xen.
I scrambled up off of the dirt ground, and ran to Xen with all the energy I had left in me. I collided into him, arms open wide and hugged him.

After a minute or so, Xen let go and my smile had been replaced with a frown.
"What's wrong?" I questioned, dumbfounded.
"Nothing," Xen replied.

"Ok," I nodded in response.
Xen grabbed my my hand tugging it slightly, as he began walking away.

"Where are you going?" I asked.
"I'll be back, wait here," he answered, jogging away from me. I stared down at the spot Xen was just at, wondering what he was doing.

A minute later he came back, a man trailing behind him.
"Who is he?" I nodded my head towards the stranger that stood beside him.
"Our father," Xen simply answered

My mouth gaped open as I saw the man clearly now. How did I not see it before, he had Xen's emerald green eyes, his hair was a dirty blonde like mine, freckles covered his nose and cheeks like Xen's and he had a big amount of height like Xen and I.

"Dad," I whispered, as my frown deepened.

"Ellen," he whispered back. I couldn't believe my eyes, he thought he could just stroll his way back into my life after missing eight years of it!

"Why are you here? After eight years now I thought you would've forgotten about me!" I snapped, anger rushing through my veins.

"Ellen!" My brother warned.

"No, I am going to say what ever I like to him whether you like it or not!" I practically screamed at my brother.

"She's right, I don't have the right to just barge right back into your life after eight years. I just came to apologise for everything," the man answered truthfully.

"Why?" I asked, my breathing heavy.
"Because I love you," the man whispered, his head hung low.

"And I don't love you back!" I shouted. His facial expressions showed sadness and anger while his words showed forgiveness.

I hesitated before walking away, anger had taken control today.

---------------------------

I know this was a short chapter but I promise a long chapter 3 anyway hope you are enjoying all my books so far and goodnight, good morning or good afternoon:)

-Halli