December 31st

It was freezing cold. Too cold for me to have to leave my house. Too cold for me to take my dog to the vet. My roommate was at the store, getting stuff so she could set up for the New Years Eve party that i was trying to find a way out of. I grabbed my coat and the dog lease, calling Bella to the door.

"Come on, lets go bye bye!" I yelled. I heard her paws scrape across the floor as she turned the corner. I hooked her leash to her collar and led her out the door to the car. She hopped in the back as I started it, turning the heat up as much as possible. I turned on the radio and drove off, hoping to think of some kind of excuse for tonight. We finally made it to the vet, and we walked inside. It had started to snow, which was great. Who doesn't love to drive in the snow. I signed in and sat down, keeping Bella by my side so she didn't attack the ugly cat on the lap of the old lady across from us. We sat there for a while and then a huge dog ran in the door, pulling its owner behind it. I ignored the fact that anyone had walked in until they sat down right beside me. I turned my head and saw a familiar face.

"Hey, Alexis, right?" He smiled.

"Yeah, Hey Ashton. Nice dog." I laughed.

"This is Jaxx." He motioned and pet his dog.

"He's adorable. This is Bella."

"Cute," He replied. "You're Elizabeth's roommate, so you'll be at the party tonight?"

"I guess so."

"I'll see you there." He winked, just as they called my name to take Bella back.

-

When I came out of the office, Ashton was no longer there. I then had to take Bella to my mom's, since she was watching her for the night because of the party. My mom loved dog sitting. I dropped her off then went to the store to get the list of things Elizabeth texted me that she forgot. She knew I wasn't a big fan of this party thing, so she said she was keeping it low. "Low" to Elizabeth is like 500 people. I finally got home where a bunch of party hats, confetti, and alcohol sat on the counter.

"Liz, I'm home!" I yelled.

"I'm in the living room, bring tape!"

I walk in and see her trying to tape up a huge "Happy New Year!" banner.

"Oh my god."

I knew it was going to be a long night.

-

At around 8, people started arriving. We handed out hats and drinks, everyone seemed to be having a good time. I saw Ashton walk in with Sophia and Luke. Luke was Elizabeth's boyfriend and Sophia was just a girl who thought she was hot shit. In reality, guys only liked her because she was easy. I didn't know who invited her, but I didn't see it ending well because Elizabeth didn't like her. I saw Liz walk up to Luke and give Sophia her look. The look Liz gives people could kill. Ashton saw me and waved. I walked over and decided to talk to him.

"Hey, nice house." Ashton said.

"Thanks. All the decorating credits go to Elizabeth though, I just keep it organized. Or I try to at least."

He laughed and we talked for a while. Liz finally got the music started and everyone started dancing.

"Wanna dance?" He asked.

I nodded and we joined everyone else in the middle of my living room. We danced, talked, drank, and danced some more. Before we all knew it, it was 11:59.

"GUYS. ITS TIME!" Elizabeth yelled, turning the TV all the way up so we could hear it.

10 9 8 7

"This has been fun." Ashton yelled over the sound of everyone else counting.

I smiled while counting along.

"5-4-3-2" I yelled.

When the countdown hit zero, I looked around and saw everyone hugging, kissing, etc. I looked at Ashton as we stood there awkwardly. He smiled and kissed me on the cheek.

"Happy New Year."