Chapter 1

Laurel groaned, hitting his head against his locker. He re-read the text from his mom, hoping that it had somehow changed in the last 20 seconds. It hadn't. The black and white words were still the same: Laurel- optometrists after school today. I'll come pick you up. He hadn't told his mom, but ever since school started in September, his eyesight had been getting more and more blurry. He could hide it fairly well at school, but a the eye doctor's? No chance. His friend, Ashley Vortex, stopped at his locker. "Hey Laur. Ready for history? she asked. "Yeah, one sec," Laurel said, swinging back to his locker. Reaching up, Laurel grabbed his history book. Laurel was a little on the shorter side, with longish brown hair and dark green eyes, making it a bit harder to reach the top shelf of his locker. He turned around and shut his locker. The two of them fell into step, but not before Laurel could avoid being hit in the face with Ashley's long, coal black hair. Along with her pale complexion, sea green eyes and blood-red lips, Ashley gave the impression of a modern day Snow White, with a way different style. Ashley wore black leggings and a sweatshirt pretty much every day, along with her Converse. Laurel, on the other hand, generally wore jeans and a t-shirt. Part way to class, their other friend Brandon Blake fell in step beside them. Ashley jerked her chin in greeting. Laurel mimicked her. She shoved him. Laurel fell back, laughing. Ashley then made a point of turning her bake to him to strike up a conversation with Brandon about the game last night, leaving Laurel alone with his thoughts. It was going to be a long day.
* * * * *
The final seconds of the school day ticked by much too fast for Laurel's liking. The bell rang and Laurel was carried out in the sea of eager students. He spotted his mom across the parking lot. He ducked behind Ashley,which would have worked-Ashley was rather tall- if she hadn't stepped out of the way, laughing. His mom saw him and waved. Laurel gave a half-hearted wave and set off towards her. Brandon flashed an expression at him, like sorry, man, it sucks that you have to go get glasses, but at least it isn't me! Laurel made a face back. Great.
****************
Well, it was official. He needed glasses. As much as he'd known it was coming, it still felt like someone had slapped him. To add insult to injury, he had to pick out the frames today. Hurray, he got to be called 'Four Eyes' even sooner! Laurel wasn't being very agreeable with the clerk who was trying to help him, and finally, just to make it end, Laurel grabbed a pair of random glasses that looked like something Harry Potter would wear. "I'd like these, please," he declared, blowing the dust off them. The clerk frowned. "Are you sur-" His mom cut her off. "Yes, we're sure. Thank you," she said, dragging Laurel out the door.

Hey! Sorry it's sorta long.Anyways, the action comes more in the next chapter. Thanks for reading!Bye!