Lost Child

Seconds turn to minutes, minutes turn to hours. And not a single word was spoken to the young boy.

The silence was overbearing and carelessly shoved by by the strangers who walked passed him.

He was lost. In a sea of people. Without a life boat and a map. Looking around for the slightest bit of help.

But no one bothered with him, the hustle and bustle continuing. Could they not see he was a child.

Lost. Alone. And tired. They seemed to miss him, pass him. I guess he should've held on tighter to the hand that held him, but that was his own fault.

For letting go of it. For letting his fingers carelessly loosen the grip on the hand. To stare at the toy store that was placed there. One so similar to the ones back at his home.

It was a reckless mistake, but he was just a child.

He felt like that child from Home Alone. In the big city. The lights were so bright he could hardly see past them in the dead of the night.

About the same time the crooks started to come out, but he was a child and had no one to run too.

Nowhere to go hide. The only case was this wasn't a game anymore. Where were his parents? Had they even noticed he was missing? Were they going half as crazy about it as he was?

He was a lost child lost in a place he'd had never encountered before. Roaming the streets to ones that he felt were safer, but nowhere was safe. He wanted to go home.

His feet dragged him to the nearest stores all which were closing as he pleaded for help, but they didn't want to help.

Were they so selfish as to deprive a child of help. A child. Was there no humanity in the world?

To recognize the ill-fated child who was left stranded. Alone.

And all they wanted to do was go home to get a good nights rest and go to church the next morning.

Was it me or was it utterly preposterous. That they would pray to help children instead of doing it themselves.

His cursed luck and there bad misinterpretation of whichever holy scripture they read was the case of it all.

Did they not know he had no place to go. As he walked back and forth eyes filled with tears.

He was not like the fortunate wise child from Home Alone with a credit card and a wallet filled with cash, who could easily scamper pass evil protagonists.

The sky's seemed to dim further, but the lights were never turned off for the city that never slept.

And it looked like he wasn't about to either. Alone, scared, remorse on what he got himself into.

He was just a child. A child lost in a sea of strangers. A misfortunate child with a beautiful face and a kind smile.

The lights flickered on as sweat poured onto her skin. Slick with it, her mind wobbled back and forth. Not knowing whether or not it was real.

Could she really have imagined it all? Her mom told her to get up she was taking her out of the hotel. Holding onto her hand as she walked into the crowded streets. Looking at the in awe at the stores.

The hustle and bustle taking her slowly, farther away from the hand that held her. It was only when she noticed that did she become truly petrified.

Seconds turned to minutes, minutes turned to hours. And not a single word was spoken to her.

She was shoved by by the strangers who walked passed her. Not listening to a single word she said.

She was lost. In a sea of people. And she hadn't the slightest clue of how to swim. Looking around for someone to help guide her to safety.

But no one bothered with her, the hustle and bustle continuing. They did not notice the minor fact that she was a child.

She walked to the park bench her head downcast and hopeless. A man coming up to her, revealing himself underneath the lamp light, a beggar. A homeless boy with less than her.

His feet stumbling over one another, walking to her slowly. She held in a grimace, scared for her short life. She was just a child.

He gave her a blanket as she stared at it in bewilderment and awe.

Her mouth barely making out the words 'thank you' as he walked away.

She was a child and he had been one too.