1.2

I was assigned to dusting, because dusting seemed to be the only thing the doctor wanted me here for. All of the doctor's fine, brass instruments needed to be dust free and polished, especially the lenses. I got that. I had been a student of astronomy for years, and in truth I was significantly overqualified for this cleaning work. I was well versed in the use and even construction of telescopes in my studies at the Ostancine College. I thought that my experience with their construction was what made the doctor take me on in the end. Unfortunately it seemed that the doctor only wanted me to polish his telescopes, run his errands, and stay out of his office.

As I came to the stairs to the doctor's office I looked at the rag in my hand, and then gave a long look at the sleek body of one of the telescopes above me. I had come to Ostancine to build a better life, and it would be in challenging the doctor today that I would pull myself out of the dust of this laboratory. I took in a deep breath and decided to make for the stairs. "I am Malia Prachet," I said under my breath.

"I am a trained astronomer," I whispered as my chest became tight with nerves. "I deserve better than-" I started, to myself, reaching out for the door knob as I crested the stairs. I stopped quickly as I was interrupted by a loud bang on the other side of the door. I felt a sharp draft from under the door and puzzled over it. I realized with pursed lips that the draft was leading into and not out of his office.

"Dr. Khalis, is everything okay in there?" I called, but the stubborn man didn't answer me. "Dr. Khalis," I continued as I turned at the knob. It clicked back and forth freely but didn't seem to pull open the latching mechanism. I gave a pull at the call bell's rope dangling outside, but didn't hear it clang. Had he muffled it or something? I hated to think that he disliked me calling on him enough to nullify seemingly my only means of rousing him from his research. I pounded a few more times, put my ear up to the door and after a few minutes heard the tinkling of glass and a loud thunk.

"Dr. Khalis!" I shouted again.

"Just a minute, dear," I heard through the other side of the door. I swallowed back a lump in my throat as I heard him cursing quietly to himself. It seemed like it took minutes for him to open the door, and once my patience was exhausted I stepped back again, but this time got ready to kick at the door. I hated when he called me 'dear,' and I hated not being given the time of day by him even more. He barely had the time of day for me, ignored my credentials, and treated me as a common maid, and after all that he still had the gall to give me a pet name. Maybe when he came out I'd kick him instead of the door.

I stepped back, shocked at my hypothetical outburst. Those thoughts weren't fitting of scholar, moreover an explorer of the stars, I decided. No they were the thoughts of a street rat, and that was no longer what I was. I adjusted my shirt, dusted off my breeches, and combed a hand through my short hair. It was now or never, and if I were to face him I'd do so with my piercing rhetoric, not the heel of my boot.

My heart pounded for a veritable eternity, but finally the door creaked open and out came the old man. His office looked completely undisturbed as did the doctor himself, despite all the racket. His ornate, long jacket was as crisp and clean as it had been since I brought it from the cleaners this morning. I surveyed his short-cropped hair and pointy goatee for any signs of duress. I found none though. His pock-marked face was curled into a frown, and I followed the bulbous tip of his nose as it pulled down with his scowl. His piercing green eyes looked tired from a lifetime of use, and they glinted with annoyance. I craned my neck past his tall, narrow head to peek into his office. It was curious how immaculately clean he kept it despite rarely coming out. I felt the draft lick past my ankles into the room, and the bookshelves gave a queer clattering noise, almost like a fastened shutter does against a wind storm. My observation time came to a quick close, however, as Dr. Khalis broke my line of sight with his scowl.

"What is it dear?" he asked.I fumed.

"What was all that racket in there?" I demanded.

"I was simply adjusting the furniture," he replied, pursing his lips. I took a deep breath.

"Dr. Khalis," I began, as I had rehearsed. It was time for his ear full. "I am-"

"You're here about your duties I presume?" he said.

"Perhaps," I returned, pointing my chin just a little bit higher. The old man let out a sigh and set his narrow shoulders.

"I know you probably feel you've gotten the short end of the stick by coming to my observatory, but you must understand that while I am busy with my research there are other duties that must be taken care of. You've only been here a few short months and so the grunt work falls to you. That is, at least until we make up for the staffing shortage. "

A snort nearly escaped my mouth. It was a sick joke to claim he was filling the staff roster when he himself had caused the shortage.

"I'm not your maid," I said, feeling a fist ball up in my sweating hand.

"Of course not dear," said the old doctor. "You're my assistant. We simply need to develop a level of trust between us. I mean, you still haven't gotten into the habit of locking everything up."

"As you so like to point out," I said. Unfortunately the barb didn't take, and Khalis crossed his arms.

"If you are tired of your cleaning then perhaps it would be better if you ran off to the library for a bit," He said, rapping his fingers against the embroidery of his coat sleeve. "If you truly wish to contribute to the work of this observatory then find me something you'd like to research and I can review your proposal once I have the time."

Slackness in my jaw betrayed my hopefulness. Perhaps my boldness had paid off. "You mean it?" I asked, nearly breathless. I began to feel I had just been paying my dues until he'd take me on in full.

"Yes, absolutely. You haven't broken anything yet, and even though you've left the door unlocked every night this week I think we can start working on your theorizing. It will at least give you something to do while you're cleaning."

That was the most exciting thing I'd heard in months. I cringed at how sad a thought that was. I still couldn't help the feeling of excitement that had washed over me.

"I'll get started right away," I said, studying his still-frowning face for signs of sincerity. As I turned to go, he opened his mouth suddenly.
    "Before I forget, I need you to take some documents to the bank and drop a letter into the post for me." I spied the documents on the desk, and he let me pass to grab them. I Stopped  suddenly as I heard the book case clattering again. There was something quite odd about it indeed. Little did I realize at the time how far the events of this day, and the queer characteristics of the book case, would take me from the shiny instruments of the observatory, or the air that filled it.