Chapter 1

Camille sighed as she sipped her cocktail. She had arrived at the ballroom amid gasps and stares. Normally she would have relished the attention, but tonight she had made a beeline for the bar. After being handed her martini she had tried to mingle for a while, danced, but had quickly given up. The swirl of the women’s colourful dresses and masks had started to make her slightly light headed. The moment she had been able to she had slipped away. Now she stood in a small alcove shielded by curtains on the balcony overlooking the ballroom.

    Camille had never felt like this at a party before. She was usually the heart of the party. And she had planned today to be the same. She had designed her dress herself and a crew of makeup artists had assured her that she was the most beautiful girl in the entire city. Not that she needed help with that though. And with the dress and mask she knew her image was complete. The dress was a deep blood red, with a tight corset bodice, and a voluminous princess skirt that flared out at her hips. Her hair had been pulled and curled repeatedly so that at the end it fell in delicate ringlets down her creamy shoulders. Her lips were a dark blood red, she recalled how delighted she had been to find that the colour stayed on her lips, and her eyes were a smoky green under her mask.

     An audible silence had fallen over the room. Confused Camille glanced at the grand staircase leading down to the ballroom. Salacia had graced the rather large gathering with her presence, in a dress, Camille noted grudgingly, even she would have died to wear. It was a dark green velvet, with a jeweled collar that plunged scandalizing low showing an ample amount of cleavage. Her hair was in a delicate up do with a few red gold strands falling around her shoulders. Camille had to admit the dress clashed beautifully with the girls red hair. Camille felt a flare of jealousy, but quickly stifled it down. This was her best friend. She was happy for her. 

      Camille let her eyes wander and searched for the rest of her friends.

     Ah! There was Bliss, dressed in a pink gauzy dress, exactly like the little pixy she was. She was dancing with a man that frankly looked like a duck in Camille’s opinion, even with the mask. Bliss was the kind of girl who would classically be described as a slight bimbo. She was very pretty as well as sweet but rather dumb.

     Looking around once again she spotted Victoria. She was dressed like a peacock. Her dress was beautiful almost translucent, and the only thing that vaguely resembled a peacock in her outfit was her headdress which had peacock feathers spilling every which way. No one to see Victoria would ever call her beautiful, but there was an allure about her that attracted people towards her. Like moths to a flame, only to get burned, Camille thought almost morbidly.

     “I never thought I’d see Camille hunter sulking at a party.” The voice that spoke from behind her was smooth. Camille almost jumped in surprise, whirling around so fast she nearly spilt her drink.

     “I don’t appreciate being snuck up upon, whoever you are.” Camille said coldly. Who did he think he was? Well he was very good looking, and that was with the ugly gothic mask. Chuckling he removed his mask. Kingsley Martinez stood before her.

     “Huh. I didn’t know you were going to be here. Guess this night is full of surprises isn’t it?” Camille said maintaining her cold tone though her heart rate sped up.

     “Well I'm starting to regret coming.” He said. And now he sounded almost wary. “This party is dead.”

     “How long are you in the city?” she asked. She had had a small crush on Kingsley before he had left for college. And they had shared a couple of moments together. Nothing had happened then. He was back now though, she thought.

     “A while.” He told her smirking, “I’m staying at my family’s cabin. You know the one.” Cabin! Ha! That cabin was a mansion. She had been there a couple times. It was on the outskirts of the city near the beach.