prelude

2:57 PM

9/22/2016

You know the butterflies that attack your stomach, and the flush that rushes to your cheeks when you first meet someone you like? A constant banging erupts, starting as a small thud, erupting in your chest, and building gradually into something more; followed by bells, twinkling in your ears and singing praises for this person.

The thud comes in everywhere, the bells following, when they speak to you, when they text you, mention you in conversation.

When they think about you, and who you are.

And it's how Kang Ahyoung is feeling right now; but for an entirely different reason.

Because, she's being mentioned by the boy she likes (maybe even loves—the gradual rise of her feelings reaching higher and further than anything she's ever known), and she's being brought into conversations, hundreds of thousands of conversations.

Everything she owns is flying across her screen.

Notifications lighting her entire phone, vibrating second after second, dinging one moment after another. Her accounts were reaching new heights, twitter followers flying, Instagram comments being buried, phone dinging with message after message.

He'd told her minutes before, urged her to go private or deactivate or just delete, but she wasn't fast enough because thousands of people got in.

Yes, she was being mentioned by the boy she liked, she was being texted and brought into conversations but not in the way she wanted.

@mtuan93 has just mentioned you
Please leave @itsahyoung alone. She hasn't done anything wrong.

(maybe he thought this would help—maybe he thought saying something would alleviate the words and the hate and the crude cruel remarks—but it didn't)

That single tweet got thousands of likes, thousands of retweets, thousand of quoted tweets, but it wasn't good enough.

(because a fan who thinks they own an idol—that is a fan scorned)

markipooh @wangtuanchoi
Why is Mark defending her?

momo is my world @momo_land
they've been "snapchatting" for months... who knows what else they've been doing!

jaebum is daddy @daddybum
Wouldn't be surprised if she was sleeping with him.

ily moon boy @moonwoos
who even is this girl? where'd she come from? and can she just disappear?

sns reign @popknew
i can't believe mark would something like this !!! officially unstanning got7 lmao, there are better groups anyways

(this particular tweet got half a million retweets, and nearly half a million likes—and she realized with bile rising in her throat and a nasty feeling settling in her stomach—that he was going to lose fans, and fuck, it was her fault)

○ 👻 ○

By 3:34 the next day, there were already twelve pictures on her Instagram she had to turn off comments on, thirty-two hate twitters, and several posts on tumblr and facebook giving out her information and spouting nasty information about her.

All about Kang Ahyoung; and she still didn't know why.

It had been a mistake, an accident really, because none of this was supposed to happen. She wasn't fit for the spotlight, this attention. And she realized, that she couldn't stop anything from happening, and she was terrified.