Chapter Two: Archie

Concentrate... eyes on the target...

With deep breaths I quickly jumped out of my flamingo stance and did a high kick before twirling in mid air. I felt the warmth of power run through my body and out my hands with force. I did a perfect landing on both feet, the target behind me. I turned to see if I hit the stack of hay, but my eyes grew wide as I noticed that the smoke wasn't coming from my hay target.

"Archie, put it out!" Grandma yelled as Grandad ran out with a bucket of water.

I quickly ran over and stomped out the fire, burning my work boots in the process. Grandad came up behind me and dumped the fire over the burnt grass that the cows would eat. With a reassuring pat, Grandad walked back to the house, leaving me to stare at the grass with a disappointed frown. I could hear the grass calling out to me, it's voice fading till they were gone. The wind blew a little harder as they carried the fall leaves all over the pasture. With a heavy heart I let myself go, I let the earth speak to me it's troubles, I listened as the trees bragged to one another of how far they could see, but the grass mourned over the patch I had just burnt.

"Sorry." I mumbled.

"Archie, breakfast is ready." Grandma called out to me again.

I walked away from the burnt patch of grass, knowing that soon it would grow back. I closed myself from the world, only thinking my own thoughts and not those of the creatures around me.

"I made your favorite," Grandma whispered happily in my ear as I came in the house, "Now go wash your filthy hands."

"Yes ma'am." I traveled down the hallway towards the bathroom, the water cold against my warm fingers.

I turned off the water and did a quick peek down the hallway to make sure no one was coming. Once I locked the door behind me, I shook out my hands. I stared hard at the sink, small droplets of water falling. I concentrated as one drop grew bigger and threatened to fall.

Small breaths... small breaths...

The drop fell quickly, but I was quicker. I threw out my palm as if to catch it and the drop stopped in midair. The small ball of water spread out flat as I turned my hand so my palm was facing down. I moved my fingers and small ripples formed. I did a quick firebending move with my hands to see what the water would do.

The water formed a pointy tip and quickly froze over before shooting out the bathroom window. The glass shattered as the ice broke through. I took a big step to the window and looked out the window to see the ice melting in the mud of the pigs pen. The pigs squealed loudly as Grandad came out running to check on them.

"Did you hear that noise Noé?" I heard Grandma from the kitchen.

In a swift move, I opened the faucet and gathered enough water to the cover the hole I had made in the window. I closed my eyes while thinking of ice...

"Freeze... freeze..." I pleaded.

I opened my eyes with a smile as I heard the water cracking as it slowly froze over.

"Something must've frightened the pigs, but I don't see anything, nada." Grandad came back inside and walked past me as he went to check on the bathroom window. "Thought I heard something break in here."

"Nope, it came from outside." I lied.

I looked back at the window, the ice was smooth and clean just like the window. I could barely see the ice, but then again, I knew where the hole had previously been.

"Come and eat your breakfast boys, it's getting cold."

I gave grandma a kiss on the cheek before taking a seat. A plate of six slices of french toast was placed right in front of me, their sweet cinnamon aroma making my mouth water. I reached for the syrup that Grandad had placed on the table and drenched my bread in it. I then took my fork and leaned in for a bite.