Prologue

It was loud where he was sitting hugging a metal rod in hand, even in the alone corner, the sound of the murmur of the crowd was enough for him frown. There was a bitter smell of vomit and alcohol in the air. The space he was sitting was still cleaner compare to the rest of the alley and much brighter as well. There was a dim light above him which seemed to be breathing its last. Suddenly there was a sound of steps and then of high pitch laugh of a woman. Someone bumped on the wall he was leaning against some few feet away. He didn't bother to look at what the people were doing but simply stood up and started walking deeper in the alley. The smell in the air also got more pungent but as if unaware to everything around him, he kept walking.

The rest of the alley was also filled with either homeless people or prostitutes just getting on with their customers. Though it wasn't as loud, the sound of his metal rod wasn't heard by anyone as he dragged it behind himself like an unwilling dog.

"Don't..."

He paused his steps. He headed slowly turned to see a large man, pulling on a kid dressed in worn out t-shirt and pants. The kid was pushing and kicking as he tried to get away but the large man simply grinned at his fruitless attempts.

"I don't want to go..." The kid cried, large tears started falling from his eyes and he struggled.

"I'll give you food, here. See, this is money. If you want it, you would have to come to my house." The man coaxed the child but the kid still remains stubborn and started crying louder.

Tate sighed softly. If anyone cared for the loudness of sound in this place, people who had seen it all wouldn't have turned their heads away.

"Help! Som---" His small mouth was suddenly grabbed as the large man pulled the kid's face closer as he leaned down and glared at him.

"One more sound and I would show you who's the boss, right here and now." His voice was slick as if he had used this line a million time before in his life.

Tate slowly started walking closer towards them. The sound of his rod froze the large man and he turned his head to look at him. Tate smiled and asked, "What do you got there?"

The man stared at him without an expression for a while before he stood up straight, pulling the kid in front of him and tightly holding him against his front. The kid didn't dare make a sound but stared at Tate with his wet, wide eyes. The fear in them was clear as day.

Tate didn't look at him.

"Why, you want it too? You would have to wait your turn." The man slowly smiled back while rubbing the kid's head who flinched on the contact.

Tate walked closer till he was just two feet away from the man. The smile on his face looked a little crazed now and the disturbing screech of the rod sent a shiver down the man's spine which made the smile on his lips to freeze.

"But I want him now." Tate whispered, his lips stretching in a wide grin till abruptly his expressions fell, eyes turned wild and the rod in his hand was raised up and was pounded on the man's head with force. Tate didn't stop but kept pounding till white fluid started mixing in the blood which was flowing out from the man's head.

He fell on the floor, the kid he was holding into just ran as soon as he was let go without looking back.

Tate didn't bother to rub the blood off his face as he watched the unbreathing man on the dirty ground. He turned once again, the bloodied rod still dragging behind him, the sound it created was haunting the few people hiding as he started humming softly, his eyes void of any emotion as he walked deeper into the darkness.