Chapter 11

*Chapter 11*

There stood Professor McGonagall, immediately sucking the previously joyous feeling from the air. You could tell that she was positively fuming at the behavior she had just witnessed. Harry stumbled to his feet as quick as possible, awaiting the scolding and possible expulsion that he was sure to face now that McGonagall had arrived. I, standing feet away from the fuming professor, was terrified.

"Never - in all my time at Hogwarts -" McGonagall started but quickly finished as she became almost speechless with shock, something I am sure she had never experienced before, "- how dare you - might have broken your neck -"

"It wasn't his fault, Professor -" I called out, quick to defend Harry, an action I soon began to regret after being on the receiving end of one of Professor McGonagall's glares.

"Be quiet, Miss Weasley"

"But Malfoy -"

"That's enough, Mr Weasley. Potter follow me now."

The looks of pure glee accompanied with smug grins on Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle's triumphant faces were enough to increase my fury at the unjustified situation almost to the point of no return. Harry walked slowly behind McGonagall as she strode purposefully towards the castle. Immediately the thought that I might never see him again passed through my mind, he was almost definitely going to be expelled and it was all because Malfoy's neanderthal like actions. As soon as Professor McGonagall has strode up the marble staircase, wrenched open the doors and disappeared inside the castle with harry still doubtfully following behind, Malfoy let his excitement filled thoughts on the situation known.

"Serves Potter right, he had it coming. He'll be gone by this time tomorrow, on the train on the way back to those filthy muggles he was living with, exactly where he deserves if you ask me." Malfoy announced, earning cackles from the rest of the Slytherins and some well earned glares from the remaining Gryffindor's.

"It's a good job nobody's asking you then Malfoy." I was quick to respond, his snide remarks and smug face finally pushing me over the edge.

"Defending your boyfriend are you Weasley? Even Potter could do better than you."

Before I had chance to reply Madam Hooch returned and excused us from the lesson so we could go to lunch.

------------------------------------------------------------------

When Harry finally returned we were eating lunch, well I was eating and Ron was inhaling it by the looks of it. Instead of the glum face we presumed harry would be sporting if and when he returned he was wearing the biggest grin I had seen him sporting in the few weeks I had known him. Once sitting down Harry told us the brilliant news that instead of being expelled like he had expected he was given the position as Seeker on the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

"You're joking!"

Harry had finished telling us the story and Ron and I were seriously impressed, though I was expressing it a lot better than he was. Ron had a piece of steak-and-kidney pie halfway to his mouth, but he'd forgotten all about it as it just floated in the air between his mouth and the plate.

"Seeker?" Ron continued. Apparently due to his shock he had forgotten how to form coherent sentences. "But first-years never -you must be the youngest house player in about -"

"- a century," said Harry, shovelling pie into his mouth. I still seemed to be unable to find the right way to respond so I sat silently throughout their exchange trying to think of an appropriate response to this amazing news. "Wood told me."

I was amazed, impressed and honestly a little envious as I sat silently thinking about how long 100 years actually is. Harry was once again making history but this time it was because of something tremendous that was happening instead of the tragedy that made him a house hold name years ago.

"I start training next week," said harry. "Only don't tell anyone, Wood wants to keep it a secret."

I could Fred and George entering the hall and making a bee-line straight for Harry, presumably to talk to him about his new Seeker status as they we're also on the team.

"Well done," said George in a low voice, giving my shoulder a squeeze as he leaned forwards so he could be heard over the mixture of loud noises in the great hall. "Wood told us. We're on the team too - Beaters."

"I tell you, we're going to win that Quidditch Cup for sure this year," said Fred."We haven't won since Charlie left, but this year's team is going to be brilliant. You must be good, Harry, Wood was almost skipping when he told us."

"Anyway, we've got to go, Lee Jordan reckons he's found a new secret passageway out of the school."

"Bet it's that one behind the statue of Gregory the Smarmy that we found in our first week. See you."

Fred and George and hardly disappeared when someone far less welcome turned up: Malfoy, flanked by Crabbe and Goyle.

"Having a last meal, Potter? When are you getting the train back to the Muggles?"

"You're a lot braver now you're back on the ground and you've got your little friends with you," said Harry coolly. His retort was quiet good although incorrect, Crabbe and Goyle were anything but little, But as the high Table was full of teachers, neither of them could do more than crack their knuckles and scowl, something I was quite grateful for.

"I'd take you on any time on my own," said Malfoy, mainly to boost his ego and image rather than proving something which we all knew was untrue. We wouldn't do anything without his two minions by his side, although they were stupid they definitely made up for their lack in brains with their abundance of brawn. "Tonight, if you want. Wizard's duel. Wands only - no contact. What's the matter? Never heard of a wizard's duel before, I suppose?"

"Of course he has." I replied, breaking my silence streak, even though it was quiet obvious to everyone involved that Harry has absolutely what we were talking about or what he was getting into.

"I'm his second," said Ron, "who's yours?"

Malfoy looked side to side at Crabbe and Goyle, probably deciding which one had the most brain cells left, although it's safe to say that they both had very minimum.

"Crabbe," he said. "Midnight all right? We'll meet you in the trophy room, that's always unlocked."

When Malfoy had gone, the three of us looked at each other.

"What is a wizard's duel?" asked Harry, confusion clear in his voice. "And what do you mean, you're my second?"