Chapter 2.

Chapter 2.

Scarlet strolled out onto the cobblestone street, dressed in clothes that she made herself. A shiny, gold leaf badge was shimmering on her chest: ‘Jr. Captain’ was engraved on it. She chocolate brown hair tied up out of her face swished as she stepped around the market. She navigated her way around people until she reached the medical station.

As she passed through clouded glass door, she admired the strong metal barriers. They were more of a wall, built when the compound was fist established, the stone and metal monument was one of the few things that kept the people safe from the dragons. The walls were strong and about as tall as a 3-story building. Nothing could get though.

She smiled and pushed the door open into the building.

The inside of the building was clean and sterile. Smooth surfaces and curtains filled the room. Scarlet rounded a corner and came to a corridor of wooden doors. Counting each door as she went past, she came to the door second from the end. A name was printed on it: ‘C. Copper & M. Copper’

She pushed the door open.

“Good Morning!” Scarlet exclaimed loudly

“Arg!” Meg screamed waking up from her slumber and fell off her chair

Cindy, her older sister, threw a bottle of water at open door after she too was awoken abruptly. Scarlet quickly ducked out of path of flying weapon.

“What was that?!” Meg roared at her sister, her puppy dog eyes wide

“Me” Scarlet smiled smugly, sitting down on Meg’s desk. “Good morning”

Although they were a year apart, people often confused Meg and Cindy for twins. Maybe it was the way the acted together or how similar they looked, but as per usual they sighed at Scarlet’s morning greeting. She’d always said it, long before dragon’s rain.

“It’s not morning.” Cindy sighed looking up at the clock

“I believe you’d find that it’s 9:30 am.” she said handed her friend the weapon, “Oh, and you’re getting better at defending yourself.” she smiled, patting her head.

The girls straightened up almost in sync and tidied their desks.

“So,” she said, picking up a piece of paper from Meg’s desk and holding it up to the light, “What’s so important to keep the spice sisters up all night researching?”

“You should ask Pioneer” Meg said snatching back her sheet.

Sargent Pioneer was the defense leader, Scarlet’s boss. He was the one that saw her inner strength at the beginning of the outbreak, and he had been that one that backed her when she said that everyone should get into the compounds.

“Or, you could ask Lacerate” Cindy said looking at her twin.

Scarlet gave them both a cold dead look, “I’m off to see Lizzie, are you coming with me or not?”

Both girls wiped off their coats, straightened their appearance and followed Scarlet out the door.