Inseparable Chapter 1 - Broken

Chapter 1 - Broken

(THIS FIC TAKES PLACE AFTER THE INCIDENT ON ISLA NUBLAR)

Zach and Gray Mitchell were just grateful to be alive after what happened on the island. It was impossible not to think about it. The two of them nearly died many times. Too many times. The visions kept coming, overflowing their minds with images of the indominous. They were constantly reminded of the trauma. It was an inescapable thought, especially for children their age.

The two sat in the backseat of the vehicle that was driven by their parents. Gray was telling his parents about what had just happened on the island, describing it as if it were a screenplay for a movie. Zach wasn't listening, as always. He had his headphones on. After what happened on the island, Zach was more anti-social than he usually was. Their mother, Karen, was sitting in the passenger seat, listening intently to the words coming from Gray's mouth.

"It was awesome! We jumped off a waterfall, and tased a velociraptor! Oh, and Aunt Claire shot a pteradon right in front of us!"

It was written all over her face that she was contemplating whether or not to sue In-Gen for risking the lives of thousands of people and most importantly, the lives of her two sons.

"I think the press have already got that covered," her nearly divorced husband, Scott, announced irritated. He shot her a cold glance that looked at her as if she was an idiot. Karen and Scott fought endlessly for as long as Gray could remember. Gray, as young as he was, couldn't recall when they weren't at each other's throats. It upsets him. Before the events on the island, Gray believed that he had nobody, and what was worse was that his elder brother ignored him most of the time too. However, after all that had happened, and what they had been through together, their bond was stronger than it had ever been. So strong, in fact, that for the next few weeks, it was very rare that they left each other's side.

Gray was diagnosed with posttraumatic stress disorder and suffered excessive night terrors. Every loud noise he heard, his mind processed as a dinosaur coming to tear him limb from limb. The once 'A' grade student hadn't gone to school in a few weeks and was only eating one meal a day, which his parents had to force down his throat so he didn't die.

Zach was still Zach, that sexually awkward 17 year old who hated school and only ever got dressed if he absolutely needed to. Except now Zach looked after Gray because he couldn't bear the thought of his fragile little brother going through all this shit alone. They spent most of their time together, talking, watching TV, and playing video games. Gray was so lucky to have Zach and vice versa.

That night Zach stayed up with Gray, trying to distress him after he awoke from another nightmare about Isla Nublar.

"What happened in your nightmare Gray?" Zach asked in an almost motherly tone.

"We were back on the island and Aunt Claire got squished by the T-Rex. Zach, I don't like T-Rex' anymore." Gray proclaimed with tears welling up in his already bloodshot eyes.

"It's okay now Gray, Aunt Claire is still alive and you're here with me. I'll always be here for you Gray."

With a soft "thank you" Gray calmed down and slowly drifted back to sleep.

"It's such a shame." He thought to himself whilst looking around his little brothers room, which was once filled with figurines, comics, and posters. But was now empty, the shelves only gathering dust, he didn't even use his once favourite dinosaur bed sheets or pyjamas anymore. It was there and then, sitting and hugging his brother at 2am, that he realised how broken their lives had become.