Part 2: Emerson: Chapter 6: Murder

Pain. I have felt too much of it in my day. The day Elizabeth, a mother to me, died, I was seeing red. My eyes were blurred with tears.

I had to get away to clear my head. Not even Gatlin’s sweet, trilling voice screaming my name made me look back. He didn’t need me anymore anyway. After the funeral, his father finally, or at least pretended to, accepted and took charge of him. He has finally seen what an amazing child he is, or at least he was pretending to.

I still kept an eye on him, of course, from afar. I never actually intervened in Gatlin’s life until the day that he met Samuel.

I never planned to harm anyone. My anger clouded my judgment. It all started at the School of Idiots, as Elizabeth called it. Samuel and Gatlin were chatting on and on about Jane Eyre, their shared favorite book. I was hiding around the corner.

“If I were Jane, I would’ve stayed with Rochester.” Gatlin argued.

“He had a wife living in his basement.” Samuel countered emotionlessly, factually, “She made the correct decision.”

“Well, aren’t you a romantic.” Gatlin responded sarcastically.

“Actually, I’m quite the opposite.” Samuel stated.

“Hey! New kid!” an annoying, screeching voice exclaimed, “Why are you talking to that loser?”

“Leave him alone.” Gatlin commanded, annoyed.

“You must be a loser too, I bet.” Sabrina sneered.

“He’s not a loser, Sabrina.” Samuel responded in a factual tone, “In the dictionary, one of the first definitions of the word loser is someone who has convicted a misdemeanor, which is something you do a lot.”

“Very persuasive.” she sneered sarcastically.

“Thank you.”

“I was being sarcastic!”

“Oh.” Samuel responded, dumbfounded, “I didn’t know that.”

“Who doesn’t understand sarcasm, you retard?”

She didn’t mean the ‘retard’ like sympathizer for those deemed ‘unholy.’ She meant the ‘retard’ as in ‘mentally challenged.’ That’s when I started planning my attack. It was perfect, though it wasn’t my signature. I was seeing red.

I followed Sabrina home. I spent only a few moments trying to figure out which window to enter. I entered the one I was one-hundred-percent sure was Sabrina’s. I didn’t make a single sound as I climbed into her window. She stared into her mirror, so preoccupied with her own reflection that she hadn’t noticed me, not until it was too late.

I wrapped around her neck a handful of barbed wire and pulled on both ends until her head popped from its socket and rolled onto the floor. As her blank grey eyes stared up at me from her detached head, I felt surprisingly little emotion, though I felt great satisfaction. I was doing my duty to my Oath and his true love.

I exited out the door, careful not to leave any fingerprints and ran. I ran to my cabin in the woods where I lived before I went to live with the Harris’s. It was small, but it was enough room for Xanthe and me. The trees were my roof; the animals were my companions and food source. I had nothing more than what I needed. I only ever left to keep an eye on Gatlin, my brother, the sweetest little kid I ever knew, whom I would die for.

Killing Sabrina was quite the thrill, but I longed for a tougher kill, a challenge. I wished for the sound of one certain criminal’s heart racing. I could think of no one else’s dead body on the floor.