Elementals [PAUSED]

I got an idea! This is just the prologue, so it's not very interesting, and the tone is super different from the rest of the book. But I still want to know what you think!

UNEDITED, so sorry for any grammar mistakes! They will be fixed soon! :)

___________________________________________________________________

Elementals- Prologue:

“I have a favour to ask, Celeste.”

 He said my name, but I knew that he was directing the statement to my parents. After all, no one ever cares about what I want.

 “Go on,” my dad said without hesitation.

 The government official leaned over and handed my dad a newspaper. The headline said “Freak Fire” and underneath there was a picture of a raging fire in the woods.

 “In Oklahoma, there’s a small town called Oakview. Small fires happen there occasionally, but these past years there have been many more fires than usual. And now that this large fire happened, the government thinks that there might be a fire elemental there.”

 He gave us a few seconds to look over the paper before he spoke again.

 “Since it is my job to find all the powerful Elementals, we need someone to investigate. We aren’t very sure how powerful this Elemental may be, so I can’t send any normal detective. And I certainly can’t have a public investigation, we want to keep Elementals a secret.”

 He paused a second time before continuing. My parents both nodded understandingly.

 “I want you to go there, and figure out if there is indeed a fire Elemental. And I expect you to tell us who.”

 “Why can’t you send someone else?” I asked, keeping my voice as low as possible.

 He shifted uncomfortably. “Well, if there’s a fire controller, then you can keep him at bay.... you know, because water and fire are opposites. And you are the most powerful water Elemental in this organization.”

 “Well, what if I don’t want to go,” I semi-yelled. “I’ve moved more times than the amount of years I’ve lived, all thanks to you people! I’m not your puppet that you can control!”

 “Celeste!” my mom said, clearly shocked. “It’s an honour to help the government. Don’t be so rude! You are not normal, so don’t expect to live a normal life!”

 That shut me up. The official looked at my mom and me, and realizing we weren’t going to interrupt again, and continued.

 “Uh... well, I want you to tell us, so if there is indeed, a fire Elemental, the government can kill the person.”

 “Why?” I asked, caught off guard. “From what I’ve heard, you haven’t killed any other Elementals that you’ve got.”

 “From past experience, the government has learned that fire Elementals are uncontrollable and their powers explode at times, causing much destruction. The only thing we can do is kill them.”

 My parents nodded once more.  My dad handed the newspaper back to the man.

 “I understand. We’ll go, right Celeste?”

 Well, it’s not like I have any choice. “Yeah, of course,” I said, managing a half-smile.

_________________________________________________________________

So, as many people say, vomment! :)