Chapter One

Pictures From The Past

1. "When memories fade."

I open my eyes slowly to be welcomed by the bright light. I let out a groan as a jolt of pain strikes my head. After seconds, the light dims gradually, allowing me to reveal the nature of my surrounding. Blue. It's the only thing I see at first. Monitors and tools are scattered all around the room. I narrowed my eyes to see that I'm laying in a bed with a needle in my left hand, and a plastic cover wrapping around my index finger of the right one.

I get rid of the needle and try to straighten myself, but without a warning, my head stars throbbing sending the pain jolting throughout my body, so I drop my head back on the pillow without a second thought, and close my eyes. My heart starts beating fast and hard as a drum in my chest so loud that I can hear its every beat as the beeping of the monitor goes fast and in sync with it while it starts fading to the background of the overwhelming noise.

Why am I in a hospital room? What happened?

My head throbbed more and more, my body became numb, and my hands went cold. "What's happening to me?" I asked again and again, trying to shout out the words.

I then see nurses and doctors in blue and white rushing through the room, and I'm not hearing a thing, not the words they seem they're yelling, and not the monitors beeping anymore; not a thing except for the overwhelming beats of my heart.

Then everything goes black and silent, again.

Suddenly, a surprising sense of calm eased my nerves, as the bright light came back.

"How are we going to tell him?" I know this voice. I guess it's mom's. I'm sure it's mom's. She's always concerned about everything, and you can hear it so clear in her voice. Concern. But what is so frightening that she couldn't tell me? Curiosity overtook my mind.

"Don't you worry my dear. I got it all planned out." A deep voice replied confidently. And that's my dad. My father is completely opposite than mom. Utterly opposite. But they are as perect as a pair of gloves together.

I swung my eyelids open to view two blurry figures in front of my bed close to each other. Soon, the figures sharpened and the blur cleared. My father held my mother close to his chest soothingly.

"Oh,, dear! Thank god, you're up! We were worried sick about you." My mother left my father's embrace and rushed to my side as soon as her eyes -that are now full of tears- met mine.

"Hello, dear. How are you feeling?" My father greets taking my hand from the opposite side of mom's.

"I don't feel good at the moment, honestly. I feel confused and... What happened?" I replied.

"W-well-" mom started, but soon, dad cut her off.

"You were driving at night, and the roads were slippery from the rain, so... a car accident occurred, and... BOOM! Now we are in Seattle, after a couple of miles from the crash." He explained carefully and slowly, not only to let me understand the situation, but also it was as if he was explaining it to himself too.

I waited for a couple of minutes to let the news sink in as I stared into his eyes blankly.

"Huh, Seattle? What took me here?" And who was with me? Of course I wouldn't have gone alone. Why didn't I remember any of this?

"I can't quite remember anything that has to do with Seattle." I say, not so sure about the reason.

"Well..." he paused for a long moment. I hate these wells and their long pauses. It's like you can sense all the bad news dropping on your head all at once.

"Well?" I pressed.

He hesitated a little before sharing a look with mom that said, "please don't make me do that."

And that's where it all dropped.

"You lost your memory. The recent part of it."