Modernize Me

Modernize Me
Request for Random
A/N: So in the request you mentioned the reader being Australian. I don't know a ton about that except what I've heard in interviews and I didn't want to be offensive so there isn't much about it in the shot.

Steve was adjusting surprisingly well to modern life; as good as could be expected for someone who was frozen in ice. He retained his gentlemanly charm, though he was a bit protective. He was defensive, but not confrontational. He kept an eye on you, always wanting to keep you safe.
Overall, he was adjusting. Most men disgusted him, given his views and beliefs. He'd seen so many guys mistreat their women as he was recreating his life in New York. He'd defended so many women when their men got aggressive, which gained him quite a following. Young women would approach him in the street or at the store and thank him, not for the first time, for whatever he did for them.
His biggest issue was technology. Electronics had come a long way since the 1940s, and the poor super soldier wasn't used to it. He could wire up a radio faster than you could say "Go," but it took him fifteen minutes to turn on a DVD player. You found his trials to be rather cute and fun to watch, much to his dismay. He felt completely helpless using anything more complex than the toaster. Kitchen applications seemed to be more manageable, as they had fewer buttons and were less high-tech than most entertainment systems. Plus, it was his apartment, so he had managed to buy older appliances, like his microwave and his toaster and his basic glass coffee pot. VCRs were pretty simple, but not many stores sold VHS tapes anymore, so he eventually had to upgrade to a DVD player. He kept his old VCR for his and your collections – plus it was the only one he could actually use.
He was also used to TVs having knobs, not tiny buttons. You'd convinced him to buy a bigger TV than the one he had. It wasn't a fancy flat screen or anything, but it was a decent size and didn't take up too much room. It came with a remote, which also confused the soldier.
"It's so you can adjust the channel or volume," you'd explained.
"But there are buttons on the television," he'd replied. "Can't I just use those?"
"With the remote you don't have to get up."
"...People are so lazy nowadays."

You were there through all of his plights. You helped him get accustomed to modern day New York, explaining how things had changed and helping him understand the new ways of the world. You were his best friend; he trusted you above anyone else. He liked the Avengers, sure, but he wasn't too sure about SHIELD. They basically did the same things as Hydra, but under the justification that they're on the side of the government and the people, so it was okay. Being the gentleman soldier he was, Steve wasn't too fond of that.
The other supers hadn't given him any reason to dislike them. They were just more modern, and he misunderstood a lot of things. He sometimes felt at ease with Thor, who didn't understand Midgardian concepts, but Thor was understandable because he wasn't from Midgard.
Steve had been best friends with Tony's father, and Tony wasn't terribly nice to him for that. The innocent blond also resented the way Tony had treated women until Pepper settled him down. Tony was the type of man Steve didn't like, even if Howard had been his friend.
Clint kept to himself or Natasha, but his sense of humor often rivaled Tony's. Steve didn't understand how men today could be so disrespectful. Nat appreciated his gentlemanly nature, as did Pepper and Maria, but they were more your friends than his.
He liked Bruce. The doctor was calm and friendly, and he seemed to have a more humble view on things. Perhaps it was because of the Other Guy and him thinking himself a monster. Steve didn't have deep and meaningful conversations with the doctor, but they could chat better than he could with the other members of the team. Bruce was kind and quiet and didn't expect a lot from other people. Steve enjoyed his placid demeanor and lack of judgment.

You would often have movie nights with the super soldier after convincing him that he needed to watch more movies. He knew of a few from his time, like The Wizard of Oz and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. He enjoyed those lighthearted, feel-good films. Many people suggested movies for him to see, so you would rent the ones you didn't already own and go spend the night at his apartment.
There would be popcorn and cookies and soda like you were a couple of teenagers, and you would smile fondly when he got really into the movie and began truly enjoying himself. You enjoyed watching how his eyes lit up when he finally understood a reference.

One night you went to his apartment for a movie night, and he was not having a good day.
Tony had decided that, to fully enjoy modern day films, Steve needed a Blu-ray player. He bought it and set it up, giving the poor soldier no warning or time to protest, or even instructions on how to control it.
So when you arrived at his apartment with a stack of movies under your arm, you opened the door to a loud cry of frustration.
"Steve?" you called, gently pushing past the door. Though he was facing away from you, you could clearly see his position. He was seated on the couch with his feet on the floor and his elbows resting on his knees. His forehead rested on his palms as his fingers dug into his hair. His breath came in irritated pants as the TV sat innocently on the shelf, displaying a blue screen and awaiting further instructions.
"Hey," he mumbled, not looking up. You set the DVDs on the coffee table as you sat beside him. You placed a hand on his shoulder, trying to get his attention.
"What is it?" you asked. "What's wrong?"
"Tony," he groaned.
"What did he do?" you pressed gently.
"He bought me a new DVD player and set it up and didn't tell me how to do anything with it so I don't know what any of the buttons mean," he sighed.
Your heart broke for him. You knew how much he hated not understanding technology. You pressed a gentle kiss to his cheek and asked where the remote was.
He offered a grunt of annoyance and a head jerk behind him. You stood and found the remote lying on the floor where it must have been thrown in a fit of anger. You suppressed a giggle at the mental image of Steve throwing a remote and bent down to pick it up. You then returned to your seat beside him and smiled sweetly.
"Come on," you whispered, reaching up to pull one of his hands away from his face. He watched from the corner of his eye as you held his hand in your own and interlaced your fingers. It was something you did often to calm him. You then pointed the remote at the DVD player which sat atop the TV and pressed "Play." It began its roll of previews and FBI warnings and finally got the menu.
"It's just a fancier DVD player," you stated, leaning against his shoulder. "I can unhook it and put your old one back up tomorrow if you want."
He smiled softly. "I'd like that."
You smiled and leaned back against the couch as the movie started.

About halfway through the movie Steve's focus was deterred. He stared at you, wondering how such a wonderful, beautiful girl could be so kind to him.
You caught his stare from the corner of your eye and turned to face him. "What is it?"
He leaned in closer, placing a hand on your cheek. You smiled and leaned into his touch, looking up at him. His eyes were full of admiration and love as they gazed into yours.
"Can I kiss you?" he whispered, his lips inches away from yours. You could barely manage a nod as he closed the gap, warmth flooding your lips. Your arms wrapped around his neck as your fingers tangled in his hair. His arms held your waist securely. A soft sigh escaped your lips as he pulled away, resting his forehead against yours. You smiled up at him, resting a hand on his cheek.
"I love you, (y/n)."
You bit your lip and smiled, kissing his nose. "I love you too, Steve."