Chapter 1

Three years later

"My dear town, it has been 3 years since we lost Lux Goodwin. She was a loyal solider. There have been many attempts to save her, however they have failed."said Mayor Claire. Lux was a good friend and the most amazing person in battle.

I'm not here to sing her praises. Lux needs us more than ever. The Blood Moon battle is coming. Faye, the fortune teller, told us. She is one of the most trusted fortune tellers in town.

Most of the people in Marca are supernatural. I am a vampire/a hunter. No, the  hunters don't hunt shadows, we hunt demons. I think "demon hunters" would sound cooler. However they refuse to call us this for the sake of the children.

The children see the  hunters as hero's, not a bunch of teenagers killing demons.

"Today we will not mourn Lux, for she is not dead. We are sending off our best hunters the evening." Queen Claire says.

"However, one of our best hunters is Shayla Huggins" says Queen Claire.

"Thank you Queen Claire. Please have enough faith in the hunters to know that we will bring Lux back. "I say.

"I'm sure everyone has faith in the Hunters. Including King Zachary Meyers." Her words seem to make everything freeze. Zachary Meyers is my so-called father. He abandoned my family when I was no older than 3.

I exited the balcony leaving Queen Claire looking bewildered. I will never be able to understand why my father left my mother.  My mother is nicest, prettiest, and most kind woman I have ever known.

I spot Dax in the crowd and began to walk towards him. Suddenly I am being pulled away from him by an invisible force. Stella. Stella is my sister she was born a witch.

"Stella, please stop! I need to talk to Dax." I plead with her.

"Mother said to stay from the Morgans" Stella says as she continues to use her power and her grip on me tightens. She begins to strain and gasp for air.

"Stella, Stop!" I scream. This time she listens. She finally drops to her knees, breathing heavily. She looks up at me , her eyes turning from pure white back to their normal hazel color.

Stella doesn't look like anyone in our family. She has long red curls and hazel brown eyes. My mom and I look the same. We both have the same chesnut brown hair and vibrant green eyes.

Stella got everything from Zachary.

"Shay! Shay!: I hear someone yell. I turn to find Dax looking at me with a profound expression.

"Are you okay? I thought you were hurt." he said.

"I'm fine, Dax. Can you go find my mom please?" I say.

He begins to wander off into the crowd.

Suddenly a screech is heard from across the field. I automatically recognize the voice. Violet Thomas. She is one of the most skilled witches in town. She let all the power go to her head. "What happened, Vi?" someone asks from the crowd. "Lux is on her way back to Marca." she says, her eyes begin to turn white.