Chapter 2

I wish I had gone to the grocery store before I had came home. There wasn't really anything in the fridge that would help me cook. I looked in the pantry and found half loaf of bread, chips, ketchup and noodles. I grabbed the noodles and looked for cooking utilities. After a long and stressful two hours I finished the pasta.

I had somehow used the ketchup to coat the pasta in an edible but tasty sauce. I felt like I ran the marathon. I served the food and called uncle Gabe. His threatening foot steps echoed as he walked down stairs. I tried not to squirm under his intense gaze. As I sat down next to him to eat he slapped me.

I fell of the chair clutching my red cheek. I soon felt him pull my hair so he could scream at me. "Did I say you could eat bitch!" I shook my head trying to forget the pain he was causing me. He spat in my face and threw me to the floor. He stepped on my leg causing a crunch. I think he broke my leg along with the hope that he would stop beating me. He laughed as I struggled to reach the door. I was prepared to tell everyone what he did to me. He left soon not caring about me. I was so close to the door. I know I could do this.

But then I stopped and realized no one could ever truly help me. I couldn't even help myself. I couldn't walk out that door and get help. I couldn't even walk. But what do I have to lose?

A life not worth living?
An abusive home?
My self esteem?
What little pride I had left?

No I had none of that. Absolutely none of it. So what did I have to lose?

So I crawled to that door. The same old wooden door I knocked on ten years ago with a security worker. The same old door that was standing between me and a new, maybe better, future.

If only I reached the door. Midway, I passed out from the pain I was trying so desperately to ignore.