Chapter 6: If the mask fits

Star walked around the school, asking every guy she saw to try the mask on. So far, no success. Marco walked with her, trying to think of a way get out of this situation.

    "Star, maybe he's not here today, and we should wait till tomorrow."

    "But what if he's here today, but not tomorrow? I'm not taking that chance."

    "Maybe he moved to Canada?" He said nervously.

    "What's Canada? And why are you so against looking for him today? Do you know him?"

    Marco started to sweat.

    "What? Me? No! No way at all. I have no idea who this guy is at all." He said with that smile he always has on when he's nervous.

    Star lifted an eyebrow and looked him in the eyes.

    "Okie dokie!" She said with a smile as she walked up to more guys.

    Smooth Diaz. Real smooth. You know, right now, moving to Canada isn't a bad idea. He doesn't know what else to do. What if he tells her, and she'd rather just stay friends? What if she freaks out at him when he tells her because he didn't tell her as soon as they talked to each other. What if, she only likes the man in the mask, and not Marco Diaz.

    It was terrible keeping this secret from her. They always told each other their secrets. This made his stomach tie up in knots.

    He watched as she walked up to a group of guys and they looked at her like "what is she doing?" Only to see Star get disappointed when none of them were the one.

    Star sighed and walked over to her locker, sitting down in front of it. She looked down at the mask and stroked the right side of it.

    "I'm not giving up on you yet.. I know we'll meet again.."

    "Wow, this day just keeps getting better and better." Marco thought sarcastically. It was like her words were banging on his heart, making it beat faster and faster. He sat down next to Star.

    "Star, I'd really hate to put you down, but why are you looking for him? If it was love at first site, he'd be running up to you, giving you the world's biggest hug. Maybe.. Maybe it wasn't love at first site.."

    Star looked up at Marco.

    "Marco, love is beautiful. And sometimes, the most beautiful love, is the quietest. Maybe he thinks I won't like the way he looks, but it's not what's on the outside that counts.." She put her hand on his heart.

    "It's what's in here that matters the most."

    Marco smiled a soft smile at her.

    "Nicely said Star, nicely said.."  He said as the stood up.

    Star looked at him and felt the same way she did at the dance. The memories of the night played in her head as she looked at him closely. It then hit her as it replayed him saying I love you. She gasped and dropped the mask.

    "It was you.. You're the man in the mask.."