Chapter 6 ~ The Restricted Section

Since I'm now 'determined', I get to move into a whole new cabin with whole new people. Yippee. A new chance to make a fool of myself. Or not. I'm not sure.

Tayla leads me to a group of people who look fairly like me: brown to auburn hair; different colored eyes, yeah; but same facial structure.

A girl, I would put her at eighteen, with my same auburn hair, but green eyes, walks over to me. "My name is Hailey," she says. "I'm the head counselor of Hecate's cabin."

"Nice to meet you," I say.

The Hecate cabin lines up in the same way the Hermes cabin did, in order of seniority. Which means I'm still dead last. I don't mind, though. At least they're somewhat related to me.

We march off to cabin twenty, the one I was so entranced with earlier. Hailey motions me to the front once we get there. "This is kind of our, the children of Hecate, rite of passage. All you have to do is open the door.

The door is steel and probably pretty heavy. The hinges look reinforced with something sparkly (diamonds maybe?) and it only enforces my idea that the door is very heavy.

I stare at it. "But there's no handle."

"So?" Hailey says, raising an eyebrow.

"So how am I supposed to......" I realize what she means. "Oh."

I'm supposed to use magic, I guess. I don't know how, though!

Hailey smiles. "It's not that difficult, I promise."

I nod and reach towards the door, half certain it won't work. My hand glows just before I touch it, and the door glows brightly before it disappears.

The Hecate cabin cheers, and I fall to the back of the line again as we file in.

To my surprise, there's no beds in here. Instead, the room is full of desks covered with books and papers and pencils. The place is kind of dark, but it's lit up by torches and the soft glow of Celestial Bronze weapons.

Hailey points to a desk in the corner. "That's our only vacant one for now," she says, "so that desk is yours. We have a library full of spellbooks in here and everything's available, once you find it of course. Curfew is in ten minutes; I'll show you to your bed."

Everyone disperses to do who knows what and I follow Hailey though a few hallways that seem to be, from the outside, nonexistent.

She leads me to a room that's full of bunk beds. "We have quite a few rooms here," she admits, "but most of them are magic practice rooms and we have two dedicated to books. So we share a room like the rest of the cabins. In my opinion, it makes us feel more like family."

I nod. "That's okay with me," I say.

She walks over to a bunk. "The top one here is yours. Feel free to personalize the space around it, just don't mess it up too much. Cabin check is at ten tomorrow."

She walks out.

I don't have much to put there, except my new dagger. I shrug and slide it under the pillow. I'd have to ask Dad if he could bring me my stuff. Dad...

I hope he's okay. That hellhound looked pretty big and despite my constant urges to pet it I'm sure it could do a lot a damage.

Then again, he was in a car...

I sigh and wander out of the bunk room, not really having a destination in mind.

I wander through many hallways, dimly aware that I have no idea where I am. For some reason, I just don't care.