These Dreams

We made it through the remainder of September with no other incidents, thank goodness. Baby Cameron's development was on track, according to the doctor, and the only one who got hurt in the remaining weeks of that month was Marissa. She had been keeping me company one day while the men went out on a hunt and she wound up slicing her finger open while cooking dinner. Luckily for her, the doctors were able to stitch it up and send her packing. Hey, it could have been worse, right? October started off peacefully, but by the end of the first week that would change. I went to sleep one night before the boys even made it home. As I slept, I saw a silhouette of a man in my dreams. Even though I couldn't see his face, I knew it wasn't Sam or Dean, and it wasn't my Dad. The first night I saw him, the guy never turned around. Thinking nothing of it, I just put it out of my mind and went on with my days as usual. By the end of the second week, this silhouette had appeared in my dreams almost every night. Finally, on the very last day of that second week, he turned around to face me. "Hello Samantha," he greeted me. "Uncle John???" I exclaimed. "But you're..." "Dead?" he finished. "And please, call me John. Or Dad. Uncle is a little awkward now considering you married my son." "Why are you here?" I asked. "Oh my God. You're here to tell me something bad, aren't you? Like a premonition or something?" "You and Sam were certainly made for each other," he laughed. "He always thinks the worst when I appear in his dreams." "So you're not here to warn me about anything catastrophic?" I was confused. "No," he assured me. "I tend to pop up in the dreams of people I care about to remind them that I'm still here in spirit." "So you've visited Sam and Dean too?" I asked. "A few times," he smiled. "I really wish you had lived long enough to see both your boys find happiness," I said. "Dean is all about the hunting life," he told me. "He may be taking a small break now, but he's never going to truly stop. He'll stay married to his work. Sam, on the other hand, he could leave at any time. He loves the job, but it's not his life." "You don't have to tell me," I smiled. "He's going to attempt to balance hunting and family, trust me," John said. "He always wanted a simpler way around it, but he also wants to keep Dean happy at the same time. Just don't let him kill himself trying to keep everyone happy. And I don't mean kill in the literal sense." "I figured as much," I told him. "You grew up to be a very beautiful young lady," he said. "I remember watching you and your sister trying to catch squirrels in the backyard." I laughed. "We were a little crazy, weren't we? Ah to be a kid again." "You'll get a second chance at that," he smiled, putting his hand on my stomach area. "As will Sam. You'll understand when your little guy shows up in a few short months." "How did you..." I started to ask. "I told you I may be dead and gone from the earth, but my spirit still roams free," he said. "I see and hear all." "Will I see you again?" I asked him. "This is your dream, Sammi. You can see whoever you want whenever you want," he said. He kissed my forehead and gave me a hug. "Take care of yourself," he told me. "And take care of Sam, too. He was lucky to find you." With that last bit of advice, he disappeared. I opened my eyes and sat up. I must have sat up rather quickly because next thing I heard was Sam asking, "Are you ok, baby? Did you have a nightmare again?" I turned to look at him, then said, "No. This was far from a nightmare. But it felt so real, like he was really here." "Like who was here, sweetie?" Sam asked. "Your dad," I told him. At this point, Sam sat up in the bed, too. "My dad was in your dream." he said. "Yes," I admitted. "He has been appearing in my dreams for the last two weeks, but didn't show his face until tonight." "He shows up in my dreams sometimes too," Sam said. "I know," I told him. "Your dad told me. He said he just likes to let those he cares about most know that he's still here in spirit." "What was his reason for coming to you?" Sam asked. "To tell me not to let you kill yourself trying to keep both me and Dean happy," I said. "And I think he wanted to let me know that our son has at least one guardian angel." "Did he say anything else?" Sam was curious now. "Not really," I said. "Just that I grew up to be a beautiful young lady and that you were lucky to find me." "It wasn't luck," Sam smiled. "It was fate." "I'm pretty sure he knows that," I smiled back. "It was nice seeing him again, even if only in my dreams." "I wish he could have lived long enough to meet his first grandchild," Sam said. "Me too," I admitted. "But we both know that he is watching over all of us. And that's enough for me." Sam extended his arms and I accepted his embrace as we laid back down and went to sleep.