Untitled Part 7

It was strange, he thought, how attached he'd become in just under 12 hours. She was sweet, she seemed to genuinely care, and the responsibility of finding the girl weighed heavily on them both.

"Ah, of course.." He trailed off mid sentence, "So, where are you staying at the moment?" Nice save, James, good job.

She smiled, aware of the awkward pause, "The bed and breakfast at the other side, the white one, who Maythie runs."

"Aw, she's adorable, it's a shame her daughter left her, but she still sends money back. Maythie's doing fine on her own, eh?" A memory played out in his mind, an old, wispy woman dropping by to give him little treats as a young boy, cookies, a jar of ice cream. Maythie was like the grandmother he never had, his biological grandparents all died before he was born.

"Have you always lived here?" Alana asked, knowing the answer but needing a filler for the awkward silence that covered them both,

"Actually, no." Alana was slightly taken aback, but kept listening "Yeah, surprising, my dad took me here after my mom died when I was three, Maythie's like a filler mother or grandmother,"

"I'm so sorry." Alana was glad she knew about his mother, they had a connection, a rather sobering one.

It was a sick connection, but it was worth it, and they'd grown attached to each other through the mayhem of the past couple of days.