Chapter 2

Aidan runs into my arms, on the other side of the room. The left side of his face is bright red and tears stream out of his bright blue eyes, as he yells, "Macey!"

"Come Aidan, come!" I put the portrait down and carry him back upstairs and into his room avoiding some of the throw pillows and making any noise to not grab Father's attention.

I don't want Father to get madder and Aidan to see anymore. He has already seen too much. I don't want him to go through what I have or have these rotten memories.

I sit him on his bed and wipe his face with his soft polyester blanket.

I feel so bad; I only sat in the corner doing nothing.

Aidan is ten years younger and didn't bother to think twice about helping Mother. I have sat there for years wanting to help but did nothing.

I pick him back up and sit on Mother's rocking chair by the window. I hold his head close to my chest and cover his other ear with my hand; I want to try and block the sounds of Mother's screams.

Aidan and I look out the window and try to calm down before going to sleep.

Memories of how things were before always run through my mind.

I do hope things can be the way they were before. I hope Father can have his old job back and be happy again, so Mother doesn't have to keep getting hit.

Father owned one of Detroit's busiest auto plants, Packard Plant, and worked as a manager overseeing the workers in the plant. But with the fall of the city, a lot of people started losing their jobs and my father was one of them.

He had to close the plant he was left without a job for a really long time.

When he does get another job, he loses it because of his anger; Father gets mad easily and all the drinking doesn't help him either.

No one sees the way Father is with Mother; to everyone else we are still a regular happy family.

We live on the good side of Detroit, away from all the blacks, where it's safe. We have a big two story house with an ample back yard and big pool. We even have a garage with two cars.

Father had the best cars from working at the plant. Mother had the best dresses imported from Spain and around Europe. Aidan and I had the top of the line toys and could get anything we wanted.

Luckily the house was already paid for when Father lost his plant because now things are hard; we are slowly running out of money.

The longer Father stays without a job, the madder he gets, and the more Mother suffers.