Chapter 3

The person walked quickly to the other side of the piano. Alex's heart started racing. Then, the white sheet was lifted from the piano and Alex squeezed her eyes shut. Do your worst Mom, Alex thought. But when she opened her eyes she was shocked to see that it wasn't Kate. Or Adrian.

"Alex?" Adrian asked into the darkness. He got up from his mattress and went over to Alex's on the other side of the room. He felt the bed examining it for his sister's presence. Adrian's face alternated from drowsiness to worry. He ran down the stairs and checked the kitchen and living room hoping she'd be watching TV, like they did sometimes when their mother was asleep. But she wasn't there. Adrian sat in the armchair thinking where she could be. He turned his gaze to the window. It was late with almost no stars in the atmosphere. Looking at the clock under the television it read 3:49. Adrian's face suddenly darkened with rage. How could she leave without telling me? He questioned. She ran away, He thought. He finally concluded his hunt for answers with she doesn't care about him and left. Adrian started heading back up the stairs when he heard footsteps down below. Adrian's face turned into a bright smile. He raced down the steps and into the basement and yelled "Alex!". But stopped dead in his footsteps.

Dave stood in front of the piano lifting the blanket. He then dropped the blanket and stared at Adrian. Adrian started to turn the other way when Dave started sprinting towards him."No!" he screamed. But it was too late. Dave had grabbed his shirt collar and turned Adrian to face him. "So, why are you down here?" he said, his face only inches from Adrian's. "I..uh...I heard a noise and I was curious so I came down here," stammered Adrian. Adrian saw from his peripheral vision that Alex was nearing them. "Hasn't anyone told you...curiosity killed the cat?" Dave raised his fist to punch Adrian. Alex crept closer and closer with a lamp in her hands. Alex raised the lamp at the same time Dave raised his fist. But Alex cracked the lamp on top of his brown-haired head before Adrian could feel the blow.

Adrian felt Dave's grip on his shirt loosen. Dave's chest heaved in fast from how hard he was laughing. He turned to face Alex. Alex's eyes grew wide. "You thought that would do anything?" Dave chuckled even harder. "Run Adrian," Alex told him. "Run Adrian," Dave mimicked. "No, Adrian, you don't go anywhere." his face hardened. Adrian stiffened. "I came down here to get some stuff. Some stuff I left here a while back. I know that's not why you're here Alex. I already know why Adrian's here." Now it was Alex's turn to freeze up. Her mouth felt dry. She scavenged her mind to find an excuse without having to tell him about the information she found. "Hey Mister Dave!" Adrian hollered. "What?" he said as he turned around. Then he fell to his knees. Adrian and Alex broke out sprinting and ran up the wooden stairs. "Get your things. Mine too. Meet me in the kitchen in five," Alex told Adrian. Adrian ran to their bedroom. Alex ran through the already opened door into her "Mom's" room. She grabbed her mother's wallet and ran down the stairs to the kitchen. She opened the drawer where she knew Kate kept the extra money consisting of four one hundred dollar bills. When she turned Adrian already had boots and his jacket on. He also carried a burly bag that carried their clothes. He unzipped the bag and raided the cabinets and refrigerator, grabbing snacks and some leftover food. When Adrian finished, Alex yanked the bag from his shoulder. She quickly put on her worn gray boots and black sweatshirt. Adrian did the same. Then they both stepped outside and into the dark, October, night.

Sorry this was a short chapter :P

-Da Cookie Monster 

^

My new wattpad "name" (sometimes I'll put Gina cause that's my name :3) 

P.S I didn't put my username because it's long and I forgot it :3