Chapter One

I took a deep breath as I grabbed the handle of the door to the bookstore.

Finally, I was free—free. I walked in, running my fingers over the books on the sale rack. Normally, I was here to get something for a dreaded course at my college but it was the last day of the semester, and I was here for me. I stopped in front of the New Adult section, running my fingers across the bindings until I found a title that looked good. I pulled the book out and looked at the cover. I couldn't help my eyebrow raising as I looked at the two individuals, sparsely dressed and entangled.

"Ellie, nice to see you! What can I help you with? I thought college was out for a while?" Stew came around the corner, and I found myself holding the steamy cover to my hammering chest.

I looked over his shoulder to see if the nameless guy who always seemed to be there to smirk at my suffering due to Stew's attentiveness was around.

He wasn't.

I took a deep breath as I shook my head, moving the book to my back. "Uh, yeah...I mean...I'm good, and yes, it's out for a bit."

Stew leaned against the shelf, flashing me his braces as he pushed his thick glasses up his nose.

"So here for pleasure?" he asked, looking around my shoulder to see what book I was holding behind my back.

I shuffled backwards as I lifted my shoulders to shrug. "Yeah...nothing in particular."

He stepped forward, keeping pace with me as I tossed the book behind me into a pile of sale ones. "There must be something you had in mind?

I shook my head. "No, not at all."

I actually did have something in mind, but he was never capable of actually finding the books I needed. Over the past several months I had gotten used to looking up what aisle it would be in while he walked away, leaned too close to a computer screen with his brow furrowed, hunting and pecking his way around the keyboard. I always had the book in hand by the time he figured out how to use the search bar properly.

"You have to have some idea what you're looking for, El. Come on! One year studying your butt off, and now you have some time to read something you like and you have absolutely no clue what you want?" Stew pushed, walking in time with me as I headed through the store.

I gritted my teeth, looking over the shelves and my eyes landed on nameless guy, smirking at me as he put a book back on the shelf. I widened my eyes at him and mouthed the words, help me please!

He sucked in his lower lip as he attempted to contain his laughter. He jumped down from the ladder, and I squeezed my eyes shut as I stopped at the shelf I was next to.

"How about a New Adult romance?" Stew suggested, and my face went red as I thought of the book I'd been holding when he walked over to me.

"Stew," a deep voice made my eyes shoot open; "I think it's time for your break," Nameless said, covering his smiling lips with his hand as he looked between us.

"I was just helping my favorite customer out," Stew replied, and it sounded like he was pouting behind me. My jaw tightened as I fought the urge to thrust my elbow into his gut.

"Don't worry, bro. I can handle it from here," Nameless said, narrowing his green-blue eyes at Stew.

"Yeah," Stew huffed. I looked over my shoulder and shot him a sympathetic smile as he nodded at me saying, "Nice to see you."

"You too," I replied, watching as he walked away. I turned to face Nameless, looking up at his slender frame. He dropped his hand, sticking it into his jean pocket as he smiled at me. "Thanks for finally saving me."