Chapter Four

I dropped the mascara into my makeup bag, looking down at my watch to see what time it was. Erica would be here any minute now. She was always the timely one, and unfortunately, also the one I could stand the least. My pulse quickened as I made my way down the three steps in to the living room. I pulled open the curtains, dust pluming off of them as the room filled with light. I dropped onto the couch, leaning my head back against the pillows before finally deciding to turn the television on. I couldn't remember the last time I actually turned the thing on. I flicked through the channels, looking down my nose at the screen until I settled on the home shopping network. There was nothing on anyways. I chewed the inside of my lip as I looked at the book sitting on the coffee table. It only took me two hours to finish this one.

My mind drifted back to Trent, and his dismissive attitude when I said I was doing something today. My eyes wandered over the room, reminding me of exactly why Dad wasn't here and how crappy he looked. The doorbell rang, and I jumped as my heart pounded, the sound rushing through my ears.

"Ellie!" Erica squealed as I opened the door. She tackled me into a hug that crunched my spine.

"Miss me much?" I asked, my face tightening with the fake smile as I laughed awkwardly and closed the door behind her.

"Yes!" Erica said, clapping her hands before flipping over the back of the couch and staring up at me. "So Andrea and Morgan are going to be here in a few minutes, but I have no idea what we're going to do! Did you have any plans?"

I shook my head, holding my arms to my side as I stared down at her. She was more comfortable in my home than I was. She looked at the ceiling, her hair spread out behind her and draping over the side of the couch.

"Your hair looks nice," I finally said.

She spun around, patting the seat next to her and looking over her shoulder. "Blonde totally fits me, right?"

"Sure does," I replied, running my fingers through my own honey blonde hair.

"I wish it was natural like yours, though." She pouted before her eyes drifted passed mine to the window and widened. "Oh! They're here!"

I opened the door as Andrea hopped out of her Jeep, linking arms with Morgan as she came around the car.

"Hey!" Andrea said, pulling me into a hug when she reached me. "You look so good! I love, love your outfit!"

"Thanks," I replied, wondering if Morgan's hug would be the one to break one of my ribs.

"You and your skinny jeans!" Morgan added, and I cringed as she hugged me, waiting for a crack. When she pulled away I was happy I could still breathe. "You were honestly made for them! My hips are just way too big to rock them."

I rolled my eyes as I looked at her. She was curvy with thick brown curls that cascaded over her shoulders, enhancing her perfect caramel skin.

"I'm sure you could pull them off," I replied, shutting the door behind them. Morgan sat down on the coffee table across from Andrea and Erica.

Morgan blinked at me, shaking her head. "They're called skinny jeans for a reason, El."

"By the way," Erica said, turning and looking at me standing at the door still. "That shirt makes you look—" she used her hands to signal to my chest. "Nice."

"Like seriously, El, how do you stay in such fabulous shape?" Andrea asked as I finally sat down on the armchair, pulling my knees to my chest.

"I forget to eat."

They all laughed. "You're so silly!" Erica said.

I sucked my lower lip in as I looked at my hands, running my fingers over the holes on my knees. "Yeah, I'm always the comic."