Chapter Ten

Mike woke up alone in bed, grunting at the cold area of the bed where Tabby had been sleeping. He lifted his head up off his pillow and peered around the room, Tabby, no where to be seen.

Mike sat up in bed and refrained from calling out for her, afraid he might awake the other Monkees. Instead he climbed out of bed and got dressed. He crept silently to the door and opened it slowly.

Since Tabby was around, a telephone was now on a small table in the hallway. They were connected to the same line, so that if someone was on the phone with someone on the phone downstairs, you could listen to the conversation on the phone in the hall and vice-versa.

Mike could hear Tabby downstairs on the phone and he didn't want to be the crazy boyfriend who listened in on her calls, but he got the feeling in his stomach he needed to.

"Brendan..." Mike could hear Tabby begin.

Without a second thought Mike grabbed the phone and pressed it to his ear, covering the bottom part with his hand so they couldn't hear him breathing.

"Aw come on Tabby. I miss you so much. Come back. I know you love my kisses." Brendan cooed into the phone. Mike gripped the phone tightly, biting his tongue.

"Brendan I..."

"I know, you've got his Mike guy. But come on. I know you want me."

"I-"

"Come on. Don't lie. I know you miss me now that you've got that side guy, Mike." Brendan hissed out Mike's name.

Blistering anger coursed through Mike's veins, almost making him shout out in anger. He had toned out the rest of the conversation at this point, his body shaking from the vile feeling of agitation that was waving through him.

He wanted to punch Brendan's teeth in for not only coming onto his girlfriend, but for also the way he talked to her.

Is it possible.... She's cheating on me for him? She wouldn't do that? Right?

Mike tuned back into the call, listening to them again.

"Brendan I don't know..." Tabby said, her voice shaking.

"Come on." Brendan cooed.

His voice was slick, but slick with oil and snakes. Disgusting.

Mike put the phone down on its cradle, surprised he didn't slam it down and snap the phone in half.

"Goodbye." Tabby said, putting the phone down in its cradle as well.

Mike stayed hidden against his bedroom door, trying to calm the bubbling hatred that was sloshing around in him before he went downstairs.

"Tabby." He said, a bit more sternly than he anticipated.

Tabby looked up at him, from where she sat on the couch. Mike stood at the top of the stairs, his fists clenched into balls.

"You okay, Mike?" She asked, standing up.

He walked down the stairs, trying to steady his breathing as he walked over to her. "What did he want?" Mike growled under his breath.

"What?" Tabby blushed, looking at Mike.

"Brendan. What did he want?" Mike growled again.

That slime-ball was going to get my Texan foot up his blonde ass.

"He... He just wanted to know when I could hang out with him...." Tabby looked away

"No. I heard the call." Mike gritted his teeth as he spoke.