Prologue

The small squirming bundle was passed into her open arms. The woman warmly smiled down at the child. No, her child. A tiny hand reached out from the bundle, grasping tightly onto her bloodstained finger. There was so much strength behind something so small, something so fragile. A small coo emanated from the bundle, making her heart cry with joy. A pity she wouldn't live for much longer, as it was she could feel her life ebbing away, withering away like a flower in winter.

A single tear trailed down her cheek as reality hit her hard. There was no doubt about it she was going to die. There wasn't a healer around for miles, and even if there were she doubted that they would help someone like her, someone of her kindred. She was going to leave her child alone in the world without her. Although, she thought, she won't be entirely alone.

She looked over to her husband, who stood next to the bed watching. He looked to the child and then to her with eyes filled with sorrow, "Neladna. I . . . I," he shook his head, at a loss with words. He knew she wasn't going to make it, he had tried everything but it just wasn't enough. Instead he reached a hand out to caress her cheek, rubbing away the tear that had fallen.

A weary smile fell upon her lips, "Draenik, this is our child. Can't you believe it?" She let out a weak laugh that quickly turned to sobs. "And I won't be here. I won't . . ."

Suddenly, her body wracked with pain, agonising pain. She cried out and held the baby closer to her chest, to her dimming breath and slowing heartbeat. Tears spilled down her cheeks as the pain became worse, her breathing becoming strangled and raspy.

"Neladna!" Draenik cried out, distressed at seeing his wife in so much pain. He held onto her free hand, clutching it between his, "please stay with me."

With the remaining strength she had, she passed the baby into his arms. She took off her grandmother's ring and gave it to him, feeling the magic on her skin fade away, "let her have this, a reminder of her mother and a gift that may give hope when there is none."

She gazed one last time at her husband and her baby daughter, "please take good care of her. Our child." At this point her heartbeat had slowed even more, nearing to a halt, signalling the end of her life.

With distant eyes she looked at the baby, and with a small smile graced upon her lips she whispered her last words on a dying breath.

"Our little Alavara."