Chapter 3

Patty and I approach the cafeteria. I wonder why it was so quiet when we passed by only a few minutes ago. As I get closer, the sound of soft murmurs and muffled laughter become clearer. I feel relieved, but at the same time I become nervous. Patty swings open the white, double doors. I peer over her shoulder at the rooms occupants.

It's not as filled as I thought it'd be. Half of the tables are empty. Several kids look our way, but only stare for a moment before returning to their previous activities. Two tables are taken up by whom I assume are the rest of the camp counselors. A few wave to Patty and she happily waves back.

After her quick acknowledgment, she continues to lead me through the cozy place. We arrive in front of a table on the outskirts of the rest. Sitting at the table are three boys. One of them has curly, red hair and black rimmed glasses protecting his big, green eyes. He appears to be taller than me. Next to him is a much smaller boy. He has course brown hair and round brown eyes. Every facial feature of his looks to be too big for his body. Across the table sits a chunky, fair skinned boy. Sleek, black hair covers his head and beady, black eyes turn to Patty and I as we stand in front of their table.

"Hey, guys! How's your lunch going?" Patty starts off warmly.

"Hi, Patty." the red headed one replies with a small grin.

"Guys, this is your new cabin mate, Joshua Peters." Patty steps to the side so I'm full view.

"Hello." I wave sheepishly.

"Josh, this is Freddy Meyers," she gestures to the red head, "next to him is Joey Garrison. Across is Louis Calvin."

All three of them stand up and shake my hand one at a time. Before Patty leaves, she points out where I can grab some food. I thank her and she walks back to her camp counselor friends. The guys sit back down to finish their meal while I go and find my own. At the counter are a few plates of rice and meatloaf. I eye the mysterious loaf and cautiously grab a plate. I find a lone water bottle and head back to the table.

Louis scoots over to make room for me. I settle in next to him and start on my lunch. We all eat quietly for a few minutes. Freddy stands up and walks to the nearest trash can to rid of his trash. As he slides the leftovers into the bin, an apple core slams into the side of his head. Freddy spins around and zeroes in on the culprit. I follow his glare to a table in the center of the rest.

The table's occupants are all struggling to keep from laughing. Several guys and girls whisper to each other. In the midst of the silent snickers, a blonde haired boy stands to his feet. He wears a comfortable sneer on his face. His amused eyes focus on the fuming Freddy.

"Why'd you stand in my way, Fredward?" the boy's question receives a few giggles.

"You aren't supposed to throw food around in here." Freddy informs him.

"I wasn't throwing food. I was practicing my basketball skills. You just ruined my practice. If we lose the big game at the end of next week, I'm blaming you." his face drops to an accusing frown.

'That doesn't even make sense-" Freddy is cut off by a booming voice.

"Freddy Meyers and Jake Gilligan! Knock it off you two." one of the camp counselor guys shouts and gives them the I-mean-it face.

With a surrendering nod, Freddy lowers his head and returns to our table. Jake smirks and sits back down. The kids around him jeer at us under their breath. Freddy places himself back in his seat. Louis smashes an empty juice carton with his fist.

"Jake Gilligan is a total wuss." Louis retorts.

"Not really. Him and his whole posse over there are the stars of this camp." Joey shrugs.